First catfishing experiences.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish_clayton, Dec 10, 2008.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Here's the one that started it all. Yep, thats me with my first ever catfish. A 2ft. long channel. I caught it on a old steel rod with a Zebco 33. It was my dads rod. The bait I was using was a few red-worms me and my dad dug up earlier that day. I'll never forget that moment.

I was wondering about everyone else's first cats. Lets here about some of your early catfishing experiences.

Attached Files:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah good times thats for sure.ive been catfishing eveysince i was old enough to hold a rod.I remember my dad or grandfather having to hold on to the back of my belt so i wouldnt get pulled in the lake lol.
    thanks for the memories.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Catchin' Bullheads on the Joe in northern Indiana on chicken liver...:roll_eyes:

4. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mine was with my dad at a small lake catching stringers of eater size channels on zebco 33 as well.

5. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Too far back in ancient history for me to remember the details, but I do remember one thing; my Dad grabbed me by the arm and stopped me just in time and said "Oog naka unk!" which translates to "Don't step in that Mmmoth poop, boy. Your Mom will raise all kinds of hell if you track that crap in the cave".

Have a nice day.

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I cannot remember my first catfish. But a can remember my wife and her first one. My wife when we got married had never fished before so I was trying to teach her the ropes so to speak. We had a mutal agreement that I would do all the baiting and she would do the rest:wink:. I got the worm on the hook and about 20 cast later she had it to the spot she wanted it. When all of a sudden her pole started jumping like crazy. I hollard at her to yank it real hard and she did a outstanding hook set. Then this channel cat got real mad and starting pulling line and she was hollering at me to help her. She was rocking the boat and jumping up and down and I was up front laughing so hard. She was getting madder by the second for me not helping reel it in. I got the net and stood beside her until she finally got it close enough for me to net it. once it was in the net and in the boat I got the best butt chewing I had in awhile but all I could do is look at her and smile and say I love you. But that is another butt chewing I will talk about later. But now she is hooked and loves to go everytime we get a chance.
    By the way it was not Mobey Dick but it only weighed about 5 LBS. But to me it was the best fish I never caught.

7. catfish_clayton

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Thanks for all the great stories. Keep them coming.:big_smile:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was raised on a farm and was rewarded for doing the chores by being able to go to our large pond and fish. I was about 6-7 yrs old when I caught my first bullhead cat on a cane pole using worms. I carried the pole with the cat still attached across the field to the house. I have been hooked on fishing since this event.

9. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I think it is going to be surprising how many folks began fishing by catching bullheads. I started with my uncle when I was around 4. We fished old rivers and creeks from early spring to late fall. We caught bullheads almost exclusively on cane poles. Worms were the bait of choice. Very seldom did we catch a channel cat. When we did, it was a treat.:big_smile: Now the channel cats can be a real pest to me when I am fishing for blues. It's strange how things change.

I finally got old enough to go trot lining. We would catch several flat heads on live gills (small ones) hooked through the eyes. We would spend hours cleaning fish after we got back home. Actually there was very little "we" involved as he cleaned almost all of them.

That was really exciting. Now, I have no use for a trot line. It's all rod and reel and I release 95% of the fish I catch. Go figure. GOOD TIMES!!!!!

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont know i cant remember that far back

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    man thats way way back It had to be on a cane pole some of the folk here are Oldddddddd Timers like Porson Pits and MIckey

12. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i had to been around 5 of 6 and i recall catching a bullhead also out of a pond, no recolection of what bait was on

13. catfish_clayton

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Alot of great stories guys thanks.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol thats awsome we used zebco 33s to.I still have the ones from when i was a kid and my dad and grandfather gave them to me used so who knows how old they are,they dont make them like that anymore.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My first catfish came on a 33 at High Rock Lake. We were out skiing and I left my rods out baited with bread. When we got back I had two little channel cats!!

The one that probably got me hooked was one I caught in a farm pond. The guy used to feed the fish and he came down and threw some food in the pond. We were catching a lot of bream on some trout dough and I made a cast and it hit the bottom. I was just sitting there talking to my buddy when all the sudden the drag on my little micro lite started screaming, it almost jerked the rod out of my hands!! It ended up being a 26in channel cat on 2lb test. As soon as we got it in the net the line broke! I also had just hooked him in the whisker. I'll never forget that, if I can find the picture I'll post it.

This is a really good thread.

16. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    cats were the first thing i learned to catch we fished a small river and small cats were loaded in it. i was using chicken livers at a lake once and caught a few cats and took them home(never do that now) i was cleaning them and busted the stomach of one and out popped a couple of bluegills thats how i started to fish for bigger cats.wow memoreies:big_smile:

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Well, y'all are gonna laugh at me, but so be it. I didn't catch a catfish until about 6 years ago. I caught him at Jones Creek up at LBL about sundown on a nightcrawler. I got so excited when I got it where I could tell it was a cat, that I just started jumping up and down. My husband was about to die laughing and there were about 4 guys that came running up saying "Here, I'll take it off the hook for you." I told them all "Hell, no you're not going to take it off the hook, I caught it and I get the honor of taking it off!!" It was a little cat about 12" long but it might as well been a whale I was so proud.

18. catfish_clayton

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Deb, I dont think anyones gonna laugh at you. You gotta start somewhere.:big_smile:

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    mine was fishing with my dad grandpa and great grandpappy at the age of 4 with worm and cane pole in a little creek called st.marys river .
    caught a 3 pound channel and a lot of yella bellies .

The funny thing is they taught me to fish and they caught alot of fish but all tied thier weights on either above hook or below , so today I think back and wish i could fish with them today and show them how its really done lol .

One more trip with them 3 at my age now would be great , but over the years i lost them all last one passing in 93 being my father .

Now im the leader of the pack year and believe im showing them proper fishing and hunting my grandson now 9 has won the local catfish tournament for our county for the past 4 years .

I hope someday i will be their best fishing trip memories , we have had some good ones that seem forgetable lol.

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My first memories of fishing were at our farm pond or the little creek that ran through our property...when I was probably 5 years old...maybe 4.

Grandpa would take me to the pond to catch channel, bass, and crappie...or me and the neighbor kid would be jerking perch with a cane pole at the creek.

Remember back then when we were kids?

We did things then at such an early age...many times without supervision...that the same things today would never be deemed appropriate child rearing technique.

After I got to a riper age of 7 or 8 years old...I was allowed periodically to tag along with grandpa to the river to run trotlines.

I remember seeing them catch flathead as long as I was.

At 12 years old...My cousins and I camped for weeks down at the river during the summers during harvest, plowing, discing, and cultivating.

Two of us were off everyday...the other 4 worked.

This one cousin and I were like brothers growing up...and we terrorized the waterways and timber all throughout our range of what we deemed to be our stomping grounds.

We had few limits...as at age 13...we both had saved up enough harvest money to buy matching Honda Big Red 3 wheelers.

This provided much better mode of transportation when compared to our previous mode. Which was either on foot...or being dropped off by grandpa somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

We'd all sleep down on the river on the gravelbar in my uncles pop up camper...and run lines continuously with my grandpas 14' flatbottom equipped with a 6 hp Johnson Sea Horse.

Those were some of my fondest memories as I look back. The comaradiery...the feeling of euphoric optimism.

Not really yet grasping the complexity of the life that lay ahead...lurking in the not so distant future.

We were so lucky to be raised in the country as farm kids...we had our pick and exclusive run of the most absolute prime waters and timber in the county.

We made burlap covers for the 3 wheelers...and would park them together out in the middle of a huge puddle of water in an even huger cut field...we'd cover them up with the burlap material...along with what available corn or milo stalks there was to be had...set the decoys...and then proceed to shoot so so many ducks and geese on so many different occasions from our portable makeshift blind.

Then at 15 years old...I got a Nissan 4x4 pickup. Brand new.

We hunted...fished...and went where ever we wanted to then.

What was the death of us band of cousins was about the age of 17...we all ended with girlfriends...and suddenly camping out in the mud wasn't nearly as fun or attractive...especially since VERY few of the girls wanted to bait trotlines...pick a duck, quail, prarie chicken, or gooose...skin a squirrel...or gut a buck. (At least not very often)

If only I could have known back then what I know now...lol. :roll_eyes: What were we thinkin'?

I got a ton of stories from our wild times along the Neosho River in Se Kansas...growing from boys to men.

I still fish some of the same holes today as I did back then.

Those were the glory days all right...but to tell the truth...I enjoy a much improved hook/catch ratio now vs. what I had then.

Turns out I didn't know as much as what I thought I did.

Nowadays...I'm a more reliable hand at finding the bite when the patterns shift...and I'm forced to look back at previous experience to make it happen.

Must be because I've fooled around long enough, and started to get old...lol.