First Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by weebrio, May 23, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I was looking to catch some bass, I tried the soft shad and the Rapala bleeding shad, no luck, so I tied on some Rebel crawdads.
    I said to my self one more cast with the shad, boom the fish hit the shad as soon as it hit the water, to my surprise it was a fairly good catfish.
    So I threw the shad in again and let it soak, I started casting the Rebel, I was watching my shad line and again as soon as my lure, the rebel this time hit the water the catfish lunged at it and inhaled.
    So I put Rebels on both my rods and I cast them out, I let one sit and drift with the wind, I watched the water and I could see swirling close to the floater, so I made a cast with the second rod and same thing the catfish inhaled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Congrats on the catch. Dont tell any bass fisherman, they'll start fishing for our cats!!!

Welcome to the BOC!

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    cool pics buddy Ive only caught three cats on lures in the past never three in a matter of minutes man you must have a hot spot there buddy. Get you some cutbait or livers and have a ball

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the nice cats!!!

5. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I was sort of shocked to say the least, I though catfish were bottom feeders only?
    It was a lot of fun; boats are not allowed on this pond, so I was just bank fishing, I saw a couple of other guys, but only one fishing with stinkbait.
    I guess it was my lucky day, I really think useing one lure as an attention getter and the other as the real bait is a method I will use time and time agian.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    nice job. oh no, they are not strickly bottom feeders. in fact, when it is hotter outside the oxygen levels in the deep water will be low causing them to be suspended or even near the top. try using one pole on bottom, and one with a bobber. if its a pond, i wouldnt use cut bait or shad, cause its not natural to the pond. unless they do have shad in the pond, but ive never seen that happen. in a pond, chicken livers have always served me well.

7. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Could it be that they are very hungry, they looked ad felt healthy to me.
    And is this size considerd small medium or large, the fist one was 14 inches the others were about 12 inches?

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i consider an average channel cat to be 2-3 pounds, so thats around 12-14 inches, so yes, id say thats average. small in my book is 1/2 pound.

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    nice channels, that's how i caught my first catfish too. Only mine was on a small spinner in a creek. With any luck, you'll be hooked now!!!:cool2:

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    dang congrats on the channels!!! good lookin fish?? we have a pond near me like that cept i never caught a cat on a lure, ive only caught em on soft plastics.. thats pretty cool!!!

11. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I was telling a guy at BPS, he said it is because they are spwaning right now.

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for sharing. Those look like very good eating-sized fish.

-- Rich

13. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I set them free.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on ur first cat!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's not un common for channel cats to hit action baits or baits that resemble a bait fish, of which they are a customed to. For many years some southern catfish men troll large Mans 20-30 plus crankbaits and catch some very large catfish. You just discovered a new way of fishing. Good when you can't find baitfish.:lol::big_smile:

16. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I went down there again today, I caught one about the same size, this time it was on a Rapal minnow swim bait,I tried shad, crawdads and a lot of other things.
    I got one bite on a Rat-L-Trap and that was it.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Bryan, if you want to step it up a notch try tossing a DD20 or 22 on a river flat in 5 to 8 ft of water some dark night. Cast out and reel very slow, those baits go deep real quick. The idea is to have them bump the bottom every foot or so, (rattles are best). You can hook into flatheads from time to time. The first time I tried this I about lost my rod right out of my hands when a 16lb flat nailed it. I had a abu 6500, 25lb big game on a 7 ft. Berkley power pole rated for 12 to 20lb line. That fish hit so fast and hard it took me by suprise. Plus it was bigger than any BASS I'm ever likely to catch lol. One other thing, I took the front treble off the bait and just left the rear one (which I oversized) to minimize snags.

18. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I was fishing for bass and never saw or caught any of them which leads me to the question do bass and cats not mingle, is the bass in another part of the pond.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    they mingle when the catfish eat the little buggers:wink: if ya wanna catch some bass during the spawn try using a plastic lizard around the banks. the bass hit them cause they are protecting their eggs. you might get a cat to hit one to.

20. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I've never tried it but I've heard from different people who have caught some nice size channels while spinning.