First catfish of the year!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by typer181, Jan 4, 2007.

1. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Hey Everyone Happy New Year!
    I was just wondering if anyone has caught any cats yet this year in Indiana? This weather is making me itchy to fish and it would be great to get your input on what they're biting on, type of body of water, etc. I've never fished for catfish in the winter time, but I have read that only blues and channels bite, no flatties. Thanks for the feedback and good luck out there!

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well eric,me and carp are goin tomorow so ill give you a report. i went out a few days before x-mas on the local river. caught a few eaters on cut shad,had DKs but they only hit the shad. the fish were along a steep bluff bank in about 12 ft. they bit very light and had to lower the tip to get them to commit and get hooked. you are correct about the flats,you mite poke one every once in a while but it is rare. you mite have the best luck with blues down your way,we dont have any blues up in the northern part of the state. :sad2:

good luck if you go eric

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well we did find fish yesterday. the problem was getting a hook in them. we had manny hits but only boated a 2 & a 4 pounder. the warm trend and the high water brought them up out of the holes(42* water here). we were finding the shallow on inside turns,in slack water areas with cover. shrimp was the flavor of the day and caught both fish. hope you can get out and poke some and this helps you.

tighht lines to ya: tim

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for the reports Tim! Good to hear someone is out there givin em hell.LOL! Good Luck fishing brother, I can't wait till Spring!:wink:

5. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Hey guys I didn't get out after new years but before a couple of times on the Ohio. The bait we did best with was shad heads, and back sections of a shad. We had lots of bites but only caught a few fish all under 5 or 6#'s. Good luck guys.

6. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get out there soon. Congrats Tim for being the first guy I know of to catch a cat in Indiana in 2007! Keep the reports coming!

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I am going out 1-9-07 to a local lake that has always produced during warmer weather. I am trying to catch my first January cat. I'll keep everyone posted.

8. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Got my first cat of the year out of the James River!! 57 pounds!
    [​IMG]

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Nice Fish!!! Do you run a guide service by any chance? :cool2:

10. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Wow Scott, that's a nice one! Where is the James River? If you don't mind telling, what did you catch that monster on (bait)? Congratulations!!

11. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Ski - You are joking yes? haha
    Typer - The James River is in Virginia...near Richmond and works its way to the ocean.

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats to the fellow Indiana brothers that have already notched a couple of cats this year, and thanks for sharing the bait of choice, might have to pick up some shrimp and dethaw some of my frozen creek chubs and hit the river soon. (I'm having fishing withdrawl right now) And by the way Scott, nice blue, that had to of been a fun fight!

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott that is a nice cat.Congrats on the huge 57# blue and thanks for sharing the pics.:big_smile:

14. cowboyjim3

cowboyjim3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Flats are down real deep and are ususaly on a slow bite

15. country boy miles

country boy miles New Member

State:
    western kentucky
    not cathing big ones on ky lake but some good eating size

16. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    havnt used the new rods and reels and tackle i got for xmas yet, i think im gunna wait till a little closer to spring, im hutin coyotes right now as much as i can until the end of the season. me and my dad and bro are talkin about 2 or 3 days out on the river the first weekend of spring. kindda kick off the start of the catfish season and celebrate a hard worked huntin season:tounge_out:

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the catches guys! I wish I had the opportunity to get out! :sad2:

Keep up the good work...

18. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heck Ya,

I'am Ready For Spring. Good Luck This Year To All.

Scott.

19. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James River is a river here in Richmond , Virginia. It empties into the chesapeake Bay and is affected by the tides.
    60 lb fish dont ruffel many feathers ,The va state record caught recently is 95 lbs 11 ozs Mostly caught on cut gizzard shad

20. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Sounds like I need to take a road trip!