First catfish of the year

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by dburkhead, Jun 5, 2009.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've not had great success fishing for catfish. I caught one of about 10" last year (only got started fishing sometime around august) and now one this year (11-12" channel cat caught in Eagle Creek reservoir).

Generally, whenever I'm out fishing (mostly panfish), I have one line set as a "catfish line"-- a heavy pole spooled with 30 lb line, and a piece of bluegill, white bass, etc. carcass (saved from filleting previously caught fish) on a big hook. Usually use a basic slip sinker rig on a somewhat tight line.

It wasn't my "catfish line" that caught the cat, however. It was a piece of worm on a Matsuo size 8 circle hook about 4 ft under a bobber--my "bluegill line".

No pictures, but he made a nice fish sandwich (along with enough bluegill to make a good fish dinner for the family).
    :big_smile:

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You might want to try some fresh cut bluegill...or if you're cleaning the fish right there, some bluegill entrails or the head.

3. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Might try that the next time I get a smaller (less than eating size) 'gill. What I've been doing is keeping the fish in a bucket of lake water until I head home (so they're usually still alive when I get home), then fillet them with the gutsack intact and stuff the carcasses into a plastic bag which goes immediately into the freezer. I then thaw them out just before use. That keeps them as fresh as I can short of cutting them up at the shore.

A large part of the reason I go fishing is that my daughter likes to eat the fish we catch, so I'm a bit unwilling to cut up a possible dinner to use as bait for fish I haven't had much luck catching. "Bird in the hand" and all that.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey, a fish is a fish. Congrats on you first cat of the year! Keep having fun fishing with that girl!