First catfish of the year...finally!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dogcat, Apr 14, 2007.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Tuesday, I met member Mark Boy from the BOC, my first member to hook up with. A really classy guy, even with my stitches I managed to wrangle a few bluegill from a park pond in an hour before heading to meet him at the GMR. He was really surprised how quickly I showed up nice live various sized gills. Had a great time catching my first Mr. Whiskers this year and first river cats in many years. A lot of dinkies 3 -4 inches right and left on chicken liver, night crawlers and a combo of both. 1 would have been a pound or so but pulled loose at the shore and Mark got this carp. I had 1 good run on a blue gill near a timber jam that got tied up so who knows what might have happened but it was nice finally meeting one of our brothers and great to be out doing what I love among other things the most, catching cats. Thanks Mark! And he is all about these park ponds and creeks near me where I have inadvertantly learned to catch bait over the past 35 or so years while fishing for stocked channels and and occaisional flatties!

The brotherhood, the sharing, the obsession.

Attached Files:

2. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing! Nice pictures

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for sharing them with us. It's always nice to get to hook up with another BOC member even if you don't catch any fish.
    I'll just be happy when I get my frist bite,let alone the frist fish..

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott thanks for sharing your fishing trip and pics. I also liked the scenery in the picture.:smile2:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice catch! But where is the Cat pics!:lol:

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    They will follow as soon as I land something photo worthy, I think I am on to some things I have been missing while fishing these ponds for so long now.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    man the pictures you posted. looks a whole lot like an area i fish regular. is it close to rip rap road by some soccer fields ? ? ? what area from ohio are you in

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish, thanks for sharing.

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I live in Beaver Kettering Dayton Creek right off 675, those were taken on the GMR near where Mark lives, not really sure but somewhere between Miamisburg and Hamilton. Pretty cool after fishing with Dad in streams and rivers 35 years ago, and stumbling across the occaisional large cats in ponds nearby and at Ceasar Creek, remembering the time back before they built the dam and we fished at Anderson fork and Buck's Run. I came back after the lake filled and caught lots of bullhead only to come back and catch flatties in 18 inches of water, in those same feeder creeks that you were lucky to land most and ran 15- 30 lbs in the mid 80's.
    I have mastered catching bait this past winter and the past few years, and dang isn't that fun???
    With one goal in mind, instead of putting out a hotdog like I did for the past few years and "works" in these ponds like catching fish in my avatar,but I put myself in a postion to make my next pics a little more robust. There is a place where I caught brown trout, regulated, and so many chubs between 3-10 inches, suckers 6-15 inches, shiners about 6 inches regularly near Urbana. I take some of those from around there on the GMR along with endless bluegill from these ponds, and I am in there. Though I haven't had a digicam for the past 25 years I have caught many nice cats and I can't wait to post my first pic of "that" fish "that day" that I caught somewhere on the BOC.
    Take nothing but pictures, catch and release.

In order to study the Eagle, learn about the Mouse.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Sounds like a good time. Our luck will improve.

11. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Here is a pic of my buddy Mike holding one my cats caught on hotdog at a local park last year. He can't figure out my camera quickly and batteries were low.

Attached Files:

12. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    that's a nice cat. i guess hot dogs do work:smile2: