First cast net

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ravenloft420, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well I finally got me a cast net and am about to go in the backyard to make a fool of myself for a lil while.

I got a 4' radius nylon (the cheapest they had) I figure I will learn on the cheap one and get a nice one once I learn what Im doin. spent the 10 dollars I saved on a l.e.d headlamp. :big_smile: something I have been wanting for a while

any pointers I havnt already seen in the great library we have here?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The only advice I have is practice makes perfect and a nice spin on the net will force it too open best. Vern

3. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    As he said a good spin helps.
    I start my throw by having my trowing hand at the 3 O'Clock position.
    And release the net at 11 O'Clock position this gives me the best
    spin/Open ratio.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Just pactice at it, it won't take long. Its hard to explain without actually being their to show you but there lots of info. on it. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are going to be running around with a headlamp like a wanna-be coal miner and you are worried about looking like a fool in your back yard? :big_smile: Seriously, the best advice I ever got was to that if you are in a boat do NOT tie the rope to your arm. If you do and get hung up you will soon be exiting the boat! As for headlamps, I love them.

6. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    All it takes is practice. When I first started I got into the back of my pickup truck and kept throwing it in my yard. A good spin does help alot.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    It will most likely be stiff at first. You can soak it in a bucket of water and a cup of fabric softener overnite or just cast it alot into the lake/river. The more you use it the softer it will get. But at first that stiffness hinders full openings. Another thing is don't roll it back into the tight ball like when you first took it out of the box. Hang it in the garage or fold it loosely and store in a 5 gal. bucket.

8. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    i got my frist one about 4 weeks ago frist time i praticed off of dock in deep water so would'nt get hung up on anything watched the vidio that came with it it is one with the metal ring on it frist 3 cast were good went to river and frist cast got 16 shad i have tried to throw my boys regarul net it is alot harder

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks guys Im finally starting to get the hang of it. I get a good opening about 7 out of ten times. I gues out of about 4 hrs practice over the course of about a week.

Iv learned that its more in the way you swing your hips and arms when you throw it,than the way you gather the net up in your hands (which I have seen countless diferent ways of doin).