First Carp of the year

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Got my first carp of the year tonight between 8 and 9 pm. He was 5 pounds and measured 22 inches (weighed on Rapala digital scale). Caught on light spinning gear with 6 pound line, using corn. Very good fight.

Sorry, no picture. Since, I forgot to take my digital camera tonight. Was really ticked at myself for forgetting the camera.

This was my second trip of the year where I was specifically targeting carp. They were biting very lightly and I feel fortunate to have hooked into this one. The water temperature is still pretty cool and I don't think they are actively feeding. Since (normally speaking) they usually take the bait and head for the next county (when water temperatures are warm)

I seeded my fishing hole with some range cubes a few days ago and again before I left tonight. So, hopefully, this will help draw the fish (baitfish, carp, cats etc..), for better fishing in the next few weeks. I caught carp on half a range cube last year (slotted and rubber banded to a 5/0 hook)

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Its hard to beat the fun of catching a big carp. They put up a good fight and are a tuff fish. Baits easy to come by, and there are some really big carp around most areas ready to catch.

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thats a pretty hard fighting fish. congragulations on your catch.

4. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just caught my first the other day too, 8 lbs. Congradulations, and hope this is just the beginning.