First Build

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well I finally decided to build my first custom,after my grandson (4-yrs old) was looking at the GUSA 85 mega mag blank I was going over some spacing lay-outs, testing, you guys know about the first one right.and he said papa, papa I want one, but not that big I want a little one, That red one right their.Pointing at the ox-blood blank B85 mag, I had setting in the corner.Man I just smiled and laughed a little.But after a little begging , I handed him the blank, and scooted it down in his hands till it was about 6'6" and he was swinging that stick everywhere,Yes Papa yes I want this one,,well Bros I broke down and cut the stick at 6'3 and his eyes were as sliver dollars,and a smile you had to see to believe.It took me awhile to get it back,and explain to him what I was going to do with it ,Build him a pretty fishing pole and he agreed and handed it over. Whew! .

As he looked on in amazement, I went by Doc Ski DVD CUSTOM ROD BUILDING,and put the rear handle on a 6 1/2" red hypolon, then set a alps centra-loc seat TICO in place on the tape, then I spined the blank as best as I could and marked, I epoxied the seat in place and installed a 8" red hypolon front grip..

The next evening I rechecked the spine mark and it was about a 1/4" off center,don't know how that happened, must have bumped it a little when installing the forgrip.LOL.

The next thing I did was go by Dale Clemens custom rod book and got the spacing for the guides,And it sure does change from a MAG HVY / MEGAMAG HVY,Big difference,, checked it out 3-4 different times and with a little adjustment on different lay-outs they are taped on(a set of ( 8 )HZHC, TNCG's from ATC ) and you can run a nylon cord Thur them and get a perfect even flow over the blank while its bent to almost a horseshoe .Sweeeet looking bent like that, here fishy fishy.

Thanks to my grandson, I liked the setup so much I cut down the Mega Mag to 6'6 to build as a Flathead stick / something like a stand up To pull-em out of the trees and rocks/ waiting for the seat now for it.

Yeah I'm hand spinning it for now, power-wrapper a few weeks out, Just could'nt wait that long,lol. I'm going uphill with the thread and turning rod away from me,twisting up,

I dont know ...
    What have you guys seen as you added weight to the blank??
    Has anything changed in the spine?.
    Its just a 1/4 " if that,, it will be alright I know, just wondering. Like to Get it right the first time,all the time.

I'm home today so I will try some thread (8 under-wraps ) work again and see if I can figure out how to get these started.

After a couple try's it was on. I had that underwap looking good as heck
    gudebrod# 521/Nylon R.W. candy apple ,about 1/8" into the wrap I inserted 2 HT 9002 silver metallic threads and wrapped a few more turns along with the candy to get my inlay 2 silver 1 red for 3 turns, then dropped the silver and continued on with the red. Man everything was looking great bro untill I got to the place to put another inlay under the center of the guide ring I stopped and took the burnishing tool and rub inward to tighten things up a little more and then it happened ,Somehow I hit the thread on the way back and loosed up the end tried to tighten it up and Bam it happened the thing came apart....I could'nt beleive it..Man I'm still sitting here looking at it. Hate to tear it apart ,cause the thing looks good man.for the first wrap with that inlay Yeah Boy! its On now. I see all kinds of things coming in the future.

AAHHa!!,Got a idea, 5min later and its done man , i took the thread and reversed the wrap and slid the tag under all 3 and pulled in the opposite derection to tighten it up and yep,,I just fixed that puppy. Took some sealer and put a coat on the tag end up to the inlay..It looks pretty good,,going to let dry and then get on with the show.
    Got that under-wrap finished and Bro's it looks good as heck!! for the first one.lol..:big_smile: 3 1/4" wrap with 3 inlays. 1 good coat od flex coat color preserver,and 15 -20 minutes later and she shines like new money.. My wife came in from work and I had her to spin the rod as I took and held the thread in place with the burnishing tool, shoot ,,I cannot hardly wait for the power wrapper...

I wish I had started to do this a long time ago.Man this is allright.

Got 3 more under-wraps completed, had a little trouble on the second one, slipped the burnishing tool and cut the thread. man I like to never figured that out, took awhile but I put a loop in the lead thread , wrapped 4-5 turns and inserted the main line and pulled both thru,cut and burnished completed wrap and inlay then preserver, can hardly see it.
    And the real bonus, its going under the over-wraps. I thought I was going to redo the whole wrap..2 more and then its onto wrapping the guides.
    But I got to smile Bro's at this rod, Ox Blood Red blank with candy apple under-wraps with silver inlays.

..lol, I cannot beleive it looks as good as it does.. I almost forgot,,,My left thumb and 2 fingers are tight and hurts like heck..

Well guys here are the first pics of the rod, from the start I took the 8'6" gusa b85 mag blank and cut her down to 6'3".41/2" including butt-cap,for my grandson.Put the red hypolon grips on, 6 1/2" rear 8" front with the alps 20mm centra lock silver seat. and marked spacing for guides.

Then I installed the Alum fighting butt-cap, Then I went and and cut two V's in a 10x6"x 5 1/2" high box and started to wrapping the soon to be fish fighter. By hand. She's looking good .

I'll have a better camera by the time its completed and I'll post some good close-ups, but these will show you my progress on my first custom channel cat rod , complete with inlays. ATC Holo/holo casting Guides are taped on now ready for the over wraps.. channel-cat decals go on right before finale finish..my grandson comes over and says OH WOW! that is pretty papa., that all I need to hear right there Bro's. Gods blessing to man, children then grandkids they are the greatest .

While I'm waiting for the silver,for the over-wraps,I will be putting the under-wraps on the Cobalt stick, so I'll probably be finishing these up at the same time..

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Looking good Kenny! Congrats on making your first rod.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a couple more pics of it.. Wonder why you have to resize the pics down. when you have all this room,, plus the pics are alot clearer??

Attached Files:

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Looking very nice. I am looking forward to more pictures as you go along.:big_smile:
    Thanks for sharing,
    David

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats lookin good bro.

6. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Nice work Kenny. I'm thinking about building one of my own. Hope mine turns out that well. Thanks for the pics,
    Bigwhiskers

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Good looking job, especially for the first go-round.

I started building a custom Orvis Fly Rod 22 years ago with a Nickel-Silver reel seat and a Presentation Reel in an all-rounder 7 weight. Did everything but wrap the guides on. I'm gonna have to finish that rod one of these days.:smile2:

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Looks good, get that little one fishing soon.

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Looks good, post more pics when done.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well,Bro's after waiting for the silver size D metallic to come in ,I decided to go ahead and wrap up my B85 megamag/ mega/hvy, was 8'6",now cut to 6'6" for a flat-head/boat rod..
    Heres a couple of more Pics of the cut Red mag Hvy, also..the 2nd Blue 85 megamag rod I'm building also.

You know since last spring,After I received my first custom and it wasn't right.I sent it back and after the second came,I about fell dead, 270. worth of components on the wrong blank. everything off center and air bubbles in 85% of finish.:sad2:and disappointed. I should have listen to Psalms;8.

And all the Builder could say was.
    ( quote, You paid to much for the components anyway? )
    Who's rod was he building?,Who's money is it anyway?. MINE!!..

( quote, I really don't don't like building fancy rod's anyway. )
    What is a Custom rod builder supposed to do?>
    Why is he even building custom rods anyway?>
    Do they build only the good stuff for there Friends only?>

It was truly a JOKE.

I decided to go into Custom Rod building myself ,being a artist and builder of about anything one could need. I said I'll do it.I am going to put the best of everything into these rods, Including the true Craftsmanship that the Lord put into my hands;

AKA- FLAME KEEPER RODS..The Name.
    Designing and Building High Quality fishing rods.
    For the serious fisherman/woman.

Using only Graphite USA's " Dual Helix "(DHX) Game Rod Blanks. Guaranteed for a lifetime not to oval under load/crush,twist,or break.EVER!.

ATC, Titan NIC, NITR,100% corrosion proof
    And the TNC line of Guides, both of which can handle any braided line. Guaranteed by ATC.

Hypolon Handles or Beautiful Custom Cork Handles.14" rear 8" forgrip standard on any rod up to 8' 6"...
    Clear , Colored , Burn't , exotic many possibilities.

All rods come with Machined Alum fighting butt Cap standard.( as seen in Pic )

I have 15, Redesigned 2pc,mega mag's to build now, That in which took me hours on the Phn, with the owner's Roy and Magaly Hasting, of Hasting Rod Manufacturing. After 10 months,and alot$$$ I have a business account with them and 30 blanks ordered,which was the minimum for the redesigning of the B85 blank. with the other 15 coming in march/April. spec's are as follows.

8'6" Mod-Fast- Mega Heavy- 20-40 line,-1-5oz lure,-Butt,.735 Weight, 5.32

But any blanks on their line-up of Americas finest rods,IMO are available.

A Custom Rod Builder,,He Builds what the customer wants, to fit his every need in a rod, a well balanced piece of equipment,to fit the customers need. no questions asked. IMHO.
    GET er DONE! Right the first time all the time.

Heres some Pic's.

Attached Files:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Some more to come

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    some more pics of blu

And I almost forgot to mention,,All rods come with

ALPS machined Alum reel seats,, 18-20mm , Triangle or Centra Loc, in colors as shown.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Now that's what all of should be doing with this cold weather.

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a few pic's of the cork handles that be on the rod, if needed

Attached Files:

15. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i really like your choice of blue for your rod, real nice job cliff

16. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks good! I'm interested.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looking good congrats on building your first rod

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go Kenny! Nice looking rod your building! :cool2: I have had an interest in doing the same but it always seems to get put on the backburner! :eek:oooh:

19. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Wow now thats a custom rod...they look great. Now when can the rest of us get one?