First bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ko1featherweigh, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    I have been thinking about starting bow hunting so im planning to go to the archery store soon to try out some compound bows i was seeing if any of you had any suggestions of what bows to try out im trying to keep the price under 300$ for now

And What kind of bow did you guys start out with?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For your first compound bow, keep it simple. Find the one you are comfortable with, one that feels natural and easy to handle and operate. You want to be relaxed and confident when shooting arrows. Speed and power are great but a lot of times just overkill. When choosing draw weight (pulling back the string), you should be able to do so by pointing the bow out straight without pointing it to the sky or down toward the ground. Most archery stores will tune a bow to your liking.

My bow is only set to 64 lb draw weight and has a lot of clean kills to its reputation.

3. ko1featherweigh

State:
    newark,cal
    well i went to the archery shop and looked at some bows. it is between the fred bear element and the pse nova, im leaning more towards the fred bear right now

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Just go with what you want not what people tell you to buy. Your new at this, make sure you look at several different bows and see what they offer. Figure out what you need in a bow and what you want to do with it and look for one that fits it. Good luck to you.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bear is always a good choice. No one in this country has been making bows longer then Bear and they back them up really well. I have a Bear Grizzly compound that I've had for 20 years and never had a problem with it. I also have 3 Bear Grizzly recurves and they are all great bows.
    Personally, I only use the compound for target shooting and do all my hunting with the recurves. It's much easier to shoot behind you or below you with a recurve and if you learn to shoot instinctivly you don't have to worry about yardage. Mis-judgeing the distance to the target by a couple yards can mean a miss with sights.

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

i have a fred bear bow and my buddy has a PSE. i do not like that PSE at all, its not as accurate as mine and its not durable at all in the year hes had it its broke 5 or 6 times, not cuz he doesnt take care of it just cuz its not too durable. ive had mine for 3 years and it hasnt had something break once on it. plus everyone ive talked to says that PSE's arent very good anyway. id go with the bear. JMO

7. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im only 15 and I started out with a PSE Nova about 4 years ago and its a decent bow and is plenty accurate to hunt with but is not real smooth, so i saved up for a new bow and baught a Mathews Switchback XT and love it. I have a buddy that has a fred bear compound and I think that would probably be your best bet. its nice and accurate and also is pretty quiet.

8. ko1featherweigh

State:
    newark,cal
    thank you all for the response
    well i got my bow today i cant be more excited:big_smile: i got the bear element i did try the nova to but it wasnt shooting as accurate and as smooth as the bear and there were both the same price so i stuck with the bear

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Fred Bear was my first bow also, I still have it and works now like it did then.