First bow kill...I'm hooked

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by irishangler, Oct 14, 2008.

1. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've hunted for 30-plus years and had my most successful hunts during the early muzzleloader season. A bunch of my hunting buddies have tried to get me into bowhunting for years and this year they finally convinced me. I bought a bow back in the spring and practiced all summer to the point I felt comfortable taking a shot out to 30-yards. It all came together this past Saturday.
    I was hunting heavily-wooded ridges that fed into a farm with acres and acres of recently cut cornfields and others with new winter wheat that will keep the deer coming back through the entire hunting season. The deer are easy to pattern...they head up the mountain to bedding areas in the morning and return in the evening to feed. It's a matter of being on the right ridge they're traveling.
    I'd seen deer at both times each day but none came close enough. When they did there had been too many eyes to avoid detection when drawing my bow. Saturday afternoon found me back in my climber but I'd moved to another tree a little farther down the mountain from where the deer cross a property fence. A long story short, at 6:15 p.m. 3 small does, a spike and another small 8-pointer walked by while I waited for 2 big does at the end of the line. One slowly walked by a tree I'd ranged at 20-yards and I drew my bow. She turned slightly quartering away and I took the shot. The arrow entered behind her ribs and stuck in the far shoulder. She buckled, took a few steps and I thought she was going down, but she slowly walked over the ridge. I climbed down 20-minutes later when it was dark and found good blood where she was first shot. She followed a trail for another 30-yards where it looked like she finally stumbled down the bank. She was at the base of the ridge not 50-yards away. I was even able to drive up to her to make loading up really easy.
    I'm hooked! Getting deer bow close without them seeing you is a much bigger challenge than I thought it would be, but this only makes a successful hunt more enjoyable.

Mike

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Awesome story,:wink: congrats on the boe doe!

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    WTG Mike!
    Great story, I've been bow hunting for 20 years or so and hardly ever use a gun any more. After hunting with a bow and getting close up to the deers movement using a gun just seams like cheating. I have a 30-06 with a scope that will shoot out to 200 yards, and the last few times i've used it, I shot 30 yards max,lol.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Good job Mike. Thanks for sharing that story with us. Well it don't get any better then that. Again good Job and welcome to the bow hunting community.

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congratulations on your first with a bow.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on your 1st bowkill, I still remember mine years ago

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Congratulations on your first bow kill. What a great accomplishment. I know you are stoked.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Big congrats. Theres nothing like bowhuntin and you'll likely do it from now on.:wink:

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on your first harvest with that new stick. bows make the whole hunting sport a little closer to home instead of puting lead in 100 yards away.:004:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Congrats on your first bow harvest. Just bought a bow a few weeks ago myself. Im hooked already myself. :big_smile:

11. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Congrats my friend. good story too. Glad to hear you have been bit by the bug too. Wack em n stack em

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Congrats Mike on your first bowkill deer. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Bowhunting is such a rush, I'll still get the shakes when drawing on a deer. That's what it's all about. NICE JOB!:wink:

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Congratulations on your first bow kill. Bow hunting is the most exciting
    thing I have ever done. I have had deer so close I was afraid they would
    hear my heart beating I know I thought I could. I have killed one small
    buck and six does with my bow. I have always wondered how I would handle
    a buck of a lifetime a real pope and young. If the excitement is much
    more than than normal I might be found hanging from my safety after
    having the big one. Bowhunting is a rush unlike any other.

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    That is awesome the first is always the best. Congrats on your first and hope there are many more to come for you.:big_smile:

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on your first Bow Kill. That is just the beginning of a life-time of hunting enjoyment.:wink:

16. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    congrats on your first bow kill!1 i'm still workin on mine lol :smile2:

17. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Congrats on your first! It is extremely rare that a person isn't hooked for life on bowhunting after there first!! NOTHING beats that upclose and personnal rush!!

18. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Congrats on your bow kill. I usually hunt with a bow during shotgun season. It's all about the challenge and the rush. I have seen guys who have never hunted pick up a gun, hungover and still half drunk shoot nice bucks and think they are hunters. I just smile and say do it again with a bow.

19. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. Y'all are right, it's all about the challenge. From opening day I'd seen deer around me. Some were just outside my range while at other times there were just too many. I did come to full draw one evening only to be busted by a small doe that sent them all back into the woods. I really enjoy trying to calm my nerves after I first spot a deer coming into the area. If I'd had a muzzleloader or a rifle it would have ended then and there. But with a bow you are forced to wait, and wait, and wait. You have to look for the right time to draw and then get anchored, find the right pin, BREATHE, and finally release. There's nothing like it and I can't thank my buddies enough for convincing me to give this a try. We're heading back into the woods tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to have to cook up some fresh tenderloin biscuits for them.

Mike

20. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Wish ya lived in Illinois! I would invite myself! That sounds pretty good before I go take a nap in a tree!