First boat.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, Mar 16, 2009.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
  2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats Chris...Looks like a very well built rig.Is that a old 8 track player under the dash?

Cant wait to see the finished Picture's.

Keep us posted on your progess.

Maybe a boat rebuild party at Chris's house is coming soon.:roll_eyes::tounge_out:

3. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    That's an old AM radio. No 8 track or even FM!:smile2:

The boat seems pretty solid, except the floor, heh. I think a lot of elbow grease and a little lumber will make it like new. The trailer looks like crap but is in pretty good shape. Towed it 100 miles no problems. A little sandblasting and some paint and I think it will look like new. Needs a tire.

I pulled the cover off the old '55 evinrude. It's full of wasp, spider and mice nests. All the electric will need to be replaced. It's not locked up though so it might run again one day. I may trade it though. I know a guy that wants the old thing and has a newer 50 horse that already runs. Crossin' fingers.

It's parked at my gradpa's house in MO. Feel free to come by on the weekends!:wink:

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    THE FISH DON'T LOOK AT YOUR BOAT TO SEE IF THEY WILL BITE, A LITTLE WORK, THIS BOAT WILL FISH. CONGRATS ON THE FIRST BOAT.
    THERE ARE 2 HAPPY DAYS FOR EVERY BOAT OWNER, THE DAY YOU GET IT AND THE DAY YOU SELL IT :smile2:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Amen on that Roger!

Chris it should be fun getting her running again for you.

Do you know the make of it??

I would just strip it out rewire it,get a paint gun and paint it drab green or something,slap a new floor or bed liner in it,some rod holders,stick a cooler in it for a live well and go catch some cats.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I say skip the paint just take it down to bare metal and then Scotch-Brite it and some metal polish. :cool2:

7. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Thats a nice size boat chris should be really rommy to fish out of.

looking forward to hearing yor plans and the restore.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Looks good to me trade for running motor and you can fish this weekend.

9. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I don't know much about it. There's no ID on the hull that I have found so far. The guy I bought it from said it was built at the Navy shipyard in San Diego in the 50's or 60's. That's passed down through several owners so, who knows.Bill of sale says 1965 home made.

That's pretty much my plan. I might skip the paint though. I got several coolers laying around and I can make a lot of ice for the price of a new livewell!:big_smile_2:

What do you think about marine plywood for the floor? Is it worth the extra expense? I'm thinking regular treated plywood from the lumberyard will work. I could replace it 2 or 3 times for the price of marine plywood.

I plan to put in a couple really comfortable fishing seats in at some point but I might be happy with a bucket as soon as the floor is in. :smile2:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chris it's how much you want to spend when you start a project like this.

You can go with the best or just fix it to where it will fish for you.

Its totally up to you and your budget..

Now that this is your 1st boat i will take a guess and say you wont have it two yrs and you will be wanting to trade it for another one:wink::eek:oooh:

11. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Making progress.

Spent the Saturday before Easter cleaning the junk out of the old boat. There was probably 100 pounds of mud under the old floor. Still have a lot to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You will get there....

might just be me but i couldn't open the pic you posted..

13. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
  14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    They worked for me Tom.

Tom, Does your browser have tabs?? If it does try opening the links in another window thats what I did.

Chris, Thanks for the pics your coming along before long you'll be landing the big boys on it.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Hell I dont know Shelby...I'm doing good just to turn the thing on everyday:smile2::smile2:

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: