First Boat Trip on Verdigris

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Fish Dog, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I finally got a boat so I can fish some of the places I read about all the time.I caught this one on a floating jug (another first).Thanks to everybody who post how to info,it really helps us rookies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish Lonnie. Never ben on that river but heard it holds some pretty flatheads also.

3. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Awesome! Looks like you had a great run on the river!

Q

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't think there's a better river in Oklahoma for catfishing than the Verdigris. Congrats on a nice blue.:big_smile:

5. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats, Lonnie. You won't be a rookie long catching fish like that!

6. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Nice fish.

7. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks everybody,going to try and get the second trip in this week.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Good one Lonnie, yeah I would go back too!:smile2:

9. brownie

brownie New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Good Job! The Verdigris is a great river for catchin' catfish. Before the Oologah Dam was built there was a low water dam just off highway 60 bridge east of Nowata that gave up a lot of good fish. It's still a great river even after the impoundment.

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Galen,

It sure is great to see you posting again my Friend. Fine looking guitar your holding there too.

11. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    That's still a good place to catch fish. You can see the drop off on your finder from the old dam

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The Verdigris is the river I cut my teeth on (literally... 55 years ago) (Damn, I'm getting old...)

My Daddy and Granddad took me with them many times when they bank fished. I remember that they measured fish by holding them up to me... with heads higher than mine and tails dragging the ground... Big flatheads. They didn't seem to catch many channelcat as I remember, and blues were not even in the picture... but who needs channelcat or blues when the flathead were so eager to bend their poles?

I haven't fished the Verdigris in the past 10 years, but I plan on doing it this fall.

Where are the boatramps below the Oolagah Dam?

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Albert,

You won't get too far in a boat below the dam...it get's shallow fairly quickly. You can put in at three different spots on L @ D 18. Rogers point, 33 landing or bluff landing. Down on L@ D 17 at Afton Landing.

But I perfer the river above the lake 24 miles of river plus creeks. You put in at big creek ramp about in the middle of the river above the lake. Great flatheads still to be caught in the upper verdigris.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice fish Ronnie!

15. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Albert,

As Catfishcentral said, the place there at the dam is very shallow. a flat bottom and maybe a trolling motor may work, but plan on getting out some an pushing yourself off. I don't think a v-bottom would work at all there.

I had a friend a while back catch a nice 65lb blue about 3/4 mile down from the dam. Never did ask him where he put in at though.

16. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Made my second trip up the Channel and in the Verdigris with my son,we put out 10 limb lines with 2 hooks on each.We got this two decent ones both on the same line,all the other lines had no bait left on them,guess the turtles and gar got them.Still had a great time out on the water.

Attached Files:

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I'm done with slipping and sliding on algae covered rocks.. If I can't get my 20 foot Center Console through or to it, I AINT GOIN! I'm too old for ankle breakin and knee twistin.

It's hard enough just windin and liftin the catfish!:smile2:

18. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Thats exactly the reason I don't fish Oolagah Dam anymore. Too old to stumble up and down those rocks. No sidewalks or steps. 10 years ago though, I thought nothing of it

19. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I hear you, Albert. I fell on the rocks at Kaw Lake a few years ago and tore up my rotator cuff on my right shoulder, when I tried to break my fall. I was out for the surgery, so that didn't hurt much, but the rehab exercises are killer. Rehab hurt as bad as the original injury. No more rocks for me.......

20. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

I need this done too. My middle son is a orthopedic surgeon, and he tells me "just get some physical therapy" of course dad says "I don't want that, just fix it".. Needless to say, I still hurt.