First blue of the year

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by racer5m5, Feb 7, 2018.

1. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    It been a super cold winter so far in these parts of the tn river at Saltillo tn. Had a big Shad kill above and below pickwick. Caught this pretty little fish day before yesterday. When I boated him he spit out 4 good size Shad. Water temp 41, river current 50kcfm
    and cold. Just out doing a little scouting they were feeding about 30’ in 50’ water. Lots of Shad. Made one drift through them and hooked up. Made a couple more drifts without any more takedowns. IMG_0857.jpg

2. hurt locker

hurt locker Active Member

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

3. green_neo

green_neo Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Chuck
  4. Sky

Sky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    put your name
    He's a dandy

5. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Is it possible that is a channel cat? Just looks like one to me but I'm no expert by a long shot I'm sure others can help out.
    Btw looks like you got it going on with your equipment and routine. Congrats

6. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    No it a blue I assure you channel cats won’t bite my stuff lol

Hookset70 likes this.
  7. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Thanks racer5m5 I get fooled by that dark grey olive hue but then again I've been watching big blues being caught on YouTube and come to think of it they are like that and more rounded around the head area especially when they are real fat

8. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    When they really get big like this 81#er I caught back in the summer they really look different IMG_0459.jpg

Catbird Helix likes this.
  9. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Thanks Racer5m5 that is a beast. I really like that black bimini. Is that yellow thing in the first pic a rip cord for your life jacket?

10. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Yes it is I return all Fish over 5#s to fight another day and I put my life jacket on before I leave the house so I’ll always be able to try and catch em. Safety first I Fish alone 99% of the time.

Catbird Helix and Catpaw like this.