Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out for just a couple hours yesterday evening for some catfishing. I was on the Susquehanna river in Port Deposit, MD. The wind was blowing 20+ and the water temp is still around 48 degrees so the kayak stayed in the shed and I fished from a public pier. The current was running pretty good but with 4oz of lead and a 10' surf rod I was able to get out to about 15-18' deep water. The rig was a basic Santee rig with jello chicken for bait. I got 3 bites, a 17lb'er, a nice one that hung me in the rocks and broke me off and the one pictured which was 21lbs.
I can't wait for the water to warm up some more to get out there in my kayak.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,361 Posts
Nice! Maybe when you can get out in your yak you can really get on em.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,216 Posts
Got out for just a couple hours yesterday evening for some catfishing. I was on the Susquehanna river in Port Deposit, MD. The wind was blowing 20+ and the water temp is still around 48 degrees so the kayak stayed in the shed and I fished from a public pier. The current was running pretty good but with 4oz of lead and a 10' surf rod I was able to get out to about 15-18' deep water. The rig was a basic Santee rig with jello chicken for bait. I got 3 bites, a 17lb'er, a nice one that hung me in the rocks and broke me off and the one pictured which was 21lbs.
I can't wait for the water to warm up some more to get out there in my kayak.
View attachment 323765
Nice fish!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Very nice report and nice pic. Welcome to the forum. Please make more posts like this and add to others. Everyone is great and helpful.hopefully we can learn from you as well

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
956 Posts
Very nice!

Welcome to the board

·
Registered
108 Posts
I gotta get down there!!! I fish up river a lot for flatheads but never go below conowingo. Flatheads should be waking up too! Been watching the river temp like a hawk and its up around 51 or 52 right now.

Looks like a nice of fishing was had, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta get down there!!! I fish up river a lot for flatheads but never go below conowingo. Flatheads should be waking up too! Been watching the river temp like a hawk and its up around 51 or 52 right now.

Looks like a nice of fishing was had, thanks for sharing!
J. Lewis, You do need to get down here and fish. 4 months ago the 57lbs state record flathead was caught directly across the river from where I was fishing. These invasive blues and flatheads are really increasing in both size and numbers since they got in this river. 20lbs blue cats are getting common. And if you want the invasive species trifecta, we have snakeheads too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I fish for flatheads right up river from you at aldred a LOT. Wont be long and there will be 50 pound blues coming out of that lower section.

That 57# flathead that was caught down there was a BEAST. I think the guy caught it on a plug or something like that, cant remember the details, someone was telling me about it not too long ago.

Theres a video on youtube from a couple years ago, young little girl WEARING OUT some big stripers just up from where you were too.

That river is an amazing fishery. I'm gonna be down this weekend hunting for giant flatheads. Looking to break the 50# mark this year!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the kayaks out this weekend targeting white perch and walleye. My son was using a swim bait for walleye with a hammered metal spoon under it to help get it to bottom. This guy took a swipe at the swimbait and got snagged by the spoon. If you look closely, you can see it hanging off the anal fin. I dropped down a piece of cut white perch and caught a 30"+ blue in the same area. No pics of mine because he was fighting this one while I was fighting mine. Walleye and perch fishing was ok, nothing special. He caught 2 walleye I caught zero. We both got a bunch of white perch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts