First Blue Catfish of the year - They're Waking Up in Tennessee!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, Apr 9, 2006.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Caught the first 30-pound blue of the year this morning. They're comin' alive.

Chickamauga Dam tailwaters.... lots of little "bait chewers" too small to inhale a shad... just tear it up. Caught three or four 5 - 10 lbs. Then tagged the horse. My first 30-pounder of the year. Light spinning rod, 12 lb. test line. It took some minutes to get him in. Figured he was good one to quit on.

And for those who are interested... rockfish were slow, again. I usually rockfish first hour or so of daylight. I caught one small one, about 5 lbs. , drifting a shad. Like a bad fisherman I didn't re-tie afterwards. Hooked a good one on next drift. Had him on a while then he made a hard run and broke me off.

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good job Richard.I'm still looking for my first big cat.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Richard tie that big sucker off some where and when we make our run I can catch him again and make me a new avatar.:p :p

4. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    That is a beautiful cat, I just retired in Jan but the wife has me working a new job. HA Unfortunitly it is keeping me traveling. So I still have not be able to figure out how get back into the cats. hope to see you on the water soon. Daryl

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There alive here in West Tn. Wife and I caught 40 fish Thursday that weighed in at 90 lbs and had 7 whole fryer fish in that. And turned one back.
    Guessing 1/2 were blues and then some nice channels.
    Heading back out in a little while. Should catch 50+ this evening. But will release them all. Have enough for the fish fry:)
    Pete