First Black powder rifle.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by splitshot, Sep 13, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well i finally did it. I bought myself a 50. cal. muzzle-loader today. Looked at quite a few different models, when i picked up the wolf, made by CVA i fell in love. It just felt right, if you own guns you know what i mean. Tomorrow im gnong to pick out a scope and get it bore sighted. Im pretty excited about doing some shooting with it. Any suggestions on a scope??

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congratulations on the new gun. It sounds like you took the smart way of buying one. Most people get too hung up on caliber, or brand. You went for the one that felt right, which means you'll probably shoot it better.

As far as the scope, don't get too hung up on the magnification fad. There's alot of guys that like 3-9 and more. Realistically, that's more scope than you'll ever need for a muzzleloader! You're going to be taking most of your shots inside 100 yards. If you're hunting in an area were there's still lots of vegitaion and brush, then you probably won't even get that far. You really want a good field of view for up close, were most shots are during the "smoke pole" season. I like the lower power scopes.

I've used the 1-4.5 for years on mine but have been trying out a 2-7 Nikon the last couple years. I like the low power scopes for two reasons. When they're in close, you can see them easily with the large field of view. If they are moving quickly, and are coming by your stand at that speed, then it's really difficult to catch them at any power higher than 1.5 or 2. I've made running shots on deer at 20 yards that I wouldn't have been able to make with 3 power. I know, I've tried it.

Unless I'm hunting open fields with a high power rifle, I keep the power low but like the variables with the low power on the bottom end. That way, if one steps out at 100 yards or so, then I can zoom it up. I've had the Nikon 2-7 Prostaff on my TC Omega for two years now. It's as clear or more so than my leupold, and it's never had to be adjusted after the initial sight in. It just plain holds it's zero. You can get them for around 130.00 or so.

One secret to holding the zero though is to not use cheap mounts. Spend a little on them. I've got the leupold quick detacth mounts and rings so just in case anything does go wrong with the scope at the wrong time, I can quickly get the scope off and use the iron sights.

Good luck with your choice, and shoot a bigun!

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Vince. Got a 1X on my turkey gun, 2.5X on just about everything else.

Oh, and I've never heard anyone say, "Shuda bought a cheaper scope." ;)

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Congrats Steve. I'll be watching too as I'm going to scope mine. I'm really enjoying black powder now that all the misfires are gone. It's a lot of fun.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I got a cva wolf and its a nice rifle. congrates on your selection.:big_smile:

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My wife and I both have cva's and love them!!! They are both tack drivers after playing with a few different combo's!!! Mine loves 3 pellets of 50 grain and hers dont but will loves a 2 pellet combo with a 295 grain power built. So dont be afraid to play around!!!

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well guys i bought a Bushnell 3x for it and i love it. Very impressed with the accuracy. After making the adjustments i got a 3inch group of five rounds at 100 yds. Im shooting 245 grain with a hundred grains of pyrodex, but i want to do some experimenting with a bigger grain bullet. I was told that triple 7 burns cleaner, so i want to give it a try also.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the new rifle/scope Steve. Hope ya get your buck this fall. I'm juggling with the idea myself as the ML season is longer than our rifle hunt.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've actually got to were I enjoy the blackpowder season better than rifle. It's 9 days long here. The time of year that it's in, you can start the beginning of the week with everything still green, and by the end of the season, everything is usually in full color. You can pretty much watch the colors changing while you're sitting there. Just the time of the year makes it the most awsome season of the three.