First big Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by TX Fisherman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got a 20lb flathead on a trotline the other mornin, we dont have a boat for runninn trotlines, we run em from the bank and work our way out to the line with life jackets on, anyways after puttin about 4 14-18" eater catfish the line jerked down BIG time, pulled it up and its a big ol flatty, spent 15 minutes wrestlin with the thing to get the stringer in his mouth, finnaly got it and pulled it in, weighed 20lbs, and that was after about 15 minutes out of water and on ice, got some nice fillets off him, wish i coulda caught him on R&R but had alot of fun in the water w/ him!

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nice fish kevin.you better be careful running lines on foot.a real big fish jerks a hook into your arm and he will drown you.

3. mobowhntr

mobowhntr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Kevin. When I was a youngster growing up around Blackwell Oklahoma we use to set Limb Lines on the Salt Fork and the only way for us to do it was to swim out to the logjams and Beaver Dams and tie them off. It can get pretty hairy when you swim out to a line and there is a 20-30 lb. gar or a huge Snapping Turtle waiting on you. We would just cut the line and hang a new one. All I can say is be very careful and at least you are ahead of us by wearing the lifejacket.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a real nice fish.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Just be careful and always carry a knife on you that is easy to get a hold of just in case, maybe look into a cheap jon boat and just paddle it to run your lines. I'm sure you could find one somebody has laying around cheap or even free....

6. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    cograts on the real nice fish..

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on a good catch. Like mentioned earlier, it is very dangerous to be in the water with a trotline and a bunch of hooks. So be careful. It would be safer to set limb lines, maybe?:eek:oooh:

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you did good
    as for the trotlines look for bends where you dont have to get into the water thats what i do stretch mine across bends and untie one end and bring it to shore to re bait and pull fish off

10. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Good job and congratulations :)

I remember doing this with my grandpa on his pond when I was a little fellow.

11. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice fish! Congratulation.

Ralph