First big catfish of the year!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Cattoo, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    got my first big one this morning. it was a 43.2 pound blue. it feels so awesome to get the blood pumping again! caught him below cannelton dam of all places(haha). water was pretty rough and i almost didnt fish it. i thought what the heck and threw a line out anyway. sure glad i did. it was my first fish on my new set up, 12 foot x-tra heavy ugly stik and penn 309 spooled with 40# tight line. i love the new pole exept for the fact that the handle on it is about 3 feet long! really no where to rest the rod butt. i just stuck it between my legs and tried to keep from getting racked up! i'll tell ya what im glad i had that rig cause i dont if i would have gotten him in on my old rig. this had to be the fightenest catfish i have ever tangled with! he kept surging and doubling that rod and i kept walking towards where he was headed while trying to get a handle on the dip net and make sure i kept the line taught.he gave me just about all i wanted. it didnt help that i was by myself. i almost lost it at the bank. after i wore him down and got him to the top i looked to see how good he was hooked and i barely had the hook through the corner of his mouth! i guided him towards shore between a couple of rocks so in case he came off i still had a chance to land him. well wouldnt you know, i got him close enough and i made an attempt to net him and the net got hung in the hook! i was freaking out but i didnt panic. i immediatley laid my pole down and got down to him and then the hook came out! i actually jumped in the water and did something i said just last night i would not do, i stuck my hand in its mouth! i got a hold of the bottom jaw and drug him up into the rocks. luckily he wasnt hungry so he didnt bite down on my hand. i got him weighed but i didnt have anyone to shoot a pic so i, very carefully, put him on a stringer and put him in the water. i kept waiting for someone to show up and kept thinking the fish was gonna die so i got him back out. i have a timer on my new camera but i had never attempted to use it but after a couple of attempts i finally managed to get a decent shot. i removed the stringer and put that big boy back into the water . i pushed him back and forth for a while so he could get his bearings and he was gone! sometimes it just sucks fishing alone! oh yaeh, i caught this one in the same hole i catch them in in spring and late fall. 70- 80 feet deep. this was the first time i have fished it this early. anyway, i am beat. think i'll take a nap and dream about the next big one. i have a pic but it wont let me upload it. its saying its an invalid file. oh well.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Man to bad no one was there for the Pic I bet it would have made a good one. Glad to hear you got that big this early in the year. Man I would love to of seen that, I hope you get many more this year and a few bigger. Way to go bro.

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It doesn't approve! You stuck yer hand in the mouth of a fish not hooked and landed it! That's noodlin', my friend!!! Same thing as trapping. Shamey,shamey!

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on a fine fish and a willingness to change yer mind!

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    here is the pic. my settings in irfanview were screwed up. kept converting the pic to bitmap instead of jpg.

Attached Files:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Keith :thumbsup: Awesome fish & story, especially landing it by yourself.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    sinker , hand landing a fish out of desperation that you caught on rod and reel and noodling , removing spawning fish from their nests thus allowing the years spawn to be depleted and harvesting the large breeders, further weakening the gene pool, aka. greed and ignorance, are nowhere near the same. again, NOODLING SUCKS!!!!!

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    WOW Cattoo, that is a dandy.

:thumbsup:

ST

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cattoo, that was just too covenient ta pass up. Stretching things a long way at that considering the fish wasn't even on the nest. Having a little fun.

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    nice fish,here is to catch all year long

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Congratulations on the nice catch and what a fun story you have to tell for years to come!

12. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    WTG Keith, Nice cat. I know what you mean by fishing by yourself...

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Oh Yea!!!!!:eek:

"That's the way to do it"!!!
    :thumbsup:
    "Way To Go"!!!

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

14. Baldcopper

Baldcopper New Member

State:
    Eastern Ohio
    Nice start for the year, keep it going. Best of luck

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Congrats on that beautiful blue. Man you look tired in that pic. but then I guess you had your hands full. Speaking of hands, well we won't go there.

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i was freakin wore out! i had to wait about half an hour before i made my next cast. another thing i forgot to mention was i had already started a count down to leave and go to another spot. i had about 2 minutes left when that bad boy hit. got lucky.

17. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Great story man, it makes me want to go fishing!

18. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
  19. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I bet your glad you didn't move. Why does that rod have such a long handle? Did you like the action of that rod? And once again CONGRATS, hope to get a big'un this year.

20. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wish I could get the equation together down this way. They're here, I just can't find one. I haven't caught a blue cat in 10 years! I've caught more flaheads than blues in my life. I'm hoping to change that here soon though!