First Bank fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by whisker maniac, Sep 25, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I like this idea... Maybe it will help me from the info from others.

I bank fish probably as much as I fish from a boat but, have not had any luck bank fishing close to where I live. Not many places to bank fish from on the river close to where I live. The banks are all covered with trees so ya have a hard time casting and staying out of them and the places that are open enough to cast are not at good places for cats. You can't fish from the boat launch areas and you can't fish from the bank at the dam because the lock is on this side and you can't fish from the other side because there is no way in to it without a boat. With a boat you can motor across the river tie up and walk the 400 yds to the dam to fish close to the dam.

I sometimes drive up to fish on the Arkansas river at either Dam no. five or over to WDM dam on the Arkansas river. These two places are where I catch my Skipjack and can fish from the banks fairly easily for cats and have some luck at these places for cats.

Personally I can't wait to get a boat so I can better fish the river here that is close to me. Hardly anyone fishes it for big cats so I would have most of it to myself fishing for these monsters that I know are in there.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin i hope you get a lot of good info in the new thread

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am so happy for this thread, because being that there or not go area's to fish the river here, it makes it almost impossible to fish. then we you try the big lake's it's amost impossibeto know where the fish are, even if you print a map...So i want to just pick brains here, and get as much info, has i may take in...

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its the same here..There are a lot of places to fish on the lakes but again not really good places for cats..Really spring time is by far the best cause most of the bank spots around here are shallow and they draw all kinds of fish in pre-spawn.I just got my boat running and have been bank bound for several years..Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take the boat out if the weather is good..Still won't know where to go but I'll figure it out..To me finding them is the most challenging and fun part..

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gets that adrenaline rushin :smile2::wink: I went out for the first time on a boat with my uncle and I was so pumped I didnt know what to think.. BTW caught a skipjack on a yellow kastmaster spoon that day though, no cats.:sad2:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am very happy to have this section:big_smile:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Although I mainly fish from a boat, I welcome this thread. I think it will be an added benefit to many, and that is what the BOC is all about. I look to learn more about bank fishing. Thanks.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Excellent idea. All I do is bank fish and this is a welcome addition. Thanks

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you bank fish,it,s always nice to have some tools on hand,pick,maddock,bow saw or chain saw.Some spots just need a little improving.Try to do your IMPROVEMENTS at night while your fishing,I,ve found you won,t be bothered much then.:wink:

10. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    It is not easy to find a decent place to bank fish.

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This will be good, ive been bank fishing all my life. Maybe I can help someone out, or maybe they can help me?

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes that can be a problem when bank fishing.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been a bank fisherman all my life. Even when I had a boat.....I fished the bank. We have lots of good places to catch trophy fish from the banks. It takes lots of patience and determination. Like mentioned earlier....sometimes a spot just needs to be cleared out a little bit and fished hard. All of my big fish have been caught from the banks and all but one was caught on spinning reels. Never let anyone convince you that you have to own a boat to catch nice fish! Or use this type of rod and reels. Each person through trial and error, can catch trophy fish.:cool2:

I'm glad we now have a bank fishing thread.:big_smile:

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'm glad this thread was started, I've bank fished all my life and I consider it a honor to step into somebody's boat. I understand your pain when tryin to find a new spot to fish and it's not really bank accessible. I'm to the point now that if there's a will there's a way, and I'm fishing in the spots that aren't susposed to be bank fished. I carry my entrenching tool from the marines and dig steps down the bank, cut tree's down, and even fall down the bank just to get to that spot that looks prime. I've gotten poison ivy several times and even ran into a few critters that met their end by way of e-tool, rock, stick, etc. but it's always an adventure.

:smile2: my biggest problem now is getting my ol fishing partners to make the journey with me:smile2:.

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive never fallen down the bank on purpose lol..i call it "trecking" and "cussing"

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

lmao, I'm going to rename it now:smile2: