Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i decide to try some stink bait.. so here is what i made...

peanut butter
vanilla
corn meal
raw pureed shrimp
oatmeal....

for that one
plus fish eggs on batch two...

what do u guys think????

was thinking a 3rd batch make with oatmeal, whitebass, anise oil...

now do i leave this out to breathe? or will it ripen fine in the jar?

· Registered
128 Posts
I don't know. I just made my first batch this week. I have about a gallon of rotten cheese mixed with chicken livers, sardines, minced garlic, garlic salt and sea salt. I think I might add a jar of Hog Wild to it like RD says. Mine is cooking in the sun !

· Registered
14,575 Posts
well i decide to try some stink bait.. so here is what i made...

peanut butter
vanilla
corn meal
raw pureed shrimp
oatmeal....

for that one
plus fish eggs on batch two...

what do u guys think????

was thinking a 3rd batch make with oatmeal, whitebass, anise oil...

now do i leave this out to breathe? or will it ripen fine in the jar?
Curt give us a follow up review on how it worked. Thanks.

· Registered
30 Posts
Tried to make some bait a couple of weeks ago when catfishing was slow here in Kansas. It is as follows and here are some of my ideas and blunders.

Limburger cheese

chicken livers some were somewhat rotten

shad from the local lake that rode in the trunk and hot sun for a week thus leaving only heads and bones

off brand wheaties crushed as fine as possible

some blood bait that a local cat guide uses with the anise oil I believe (very distinct smell)

Chopped the fresh chicken livers and started mixing everything together in plastic jars. That was a no no as the KS heat quickly popped those open. Now I have it in a large pickle jar about half full in the backyard baking. Won't talk about the A HOLE that stole one of the jars for his fishing trip. This stuff is about the strongest smelling stuff I have ever found. I use it in pantyhose or on sponges in moving water to disperse the scent. Pantyhose really help to keep the full livers on the line and I typically put about a half dollar size of bait in the pantyhose and tie it very tightly with the hoke in the middle. Got some good hits but the recent spawn left the fish just browsing the waters (lots of rain and not getting into the flooded areas due to lack of boat). I really think that it will produce but only tried it about four hours when everyone was reporting no biting on the cats. It did get hit hard at the spillway but think that my treble was not set right. Think I will use the hose with a circle hook or strong J hook on the one side protruding from the hose for better sets.

Do not carry this type of bait in the car in plastic or anything else other than glass. Use food prep gloves or something similar as I could not get the smell out of anything. Had to use straight bleach when it exploded on the concrete. Place charcoal briquettes in the car open to help absorb the smell, probably will not cook with them.

Osage State Fishing is reporting good fishing for channels on stinks, cuts and worms from the 1 to 5 pound range which will make good eaters. Plan to fish it Sunday as I have my two little ones both under four for the next couple of days and they just do not sit well for catfishing, they really love to fish for live bait with me.

What do you all think? Overkill????

· Registered
150 Posts
Tried to make some bait a couple of weeks ago when catfishing was slow here in Kansas. It is as follows and here are some of my ideas and blunders.

Limburger cheese

chicken livers some were somewhat rotten

shad from the local lake that rode in the trunk and hot sun for a week thus leaving only heads and bones

off brand wheaties crushed as fine as possible

some blood bait that a local cat guide uses with the anise oil I believe (very distinct smell)

Chopped the fresh chicken livers and started mixing everything together in plastic jars. That was a no no as the KS heat quickly popped those open. Now I have it in a large pickle jar about half full in the backyard baking. Won't talk about the A HOLE that stole one of the jars for his fishing trip. This stuff is about the strongest smelling stuff I have ever found. I use it in pantyhose or on sponges in moving water to disperse the scent. Pantyhose really help to keep the full livers on the line and I typically put about a half dollar size of bait in the pantyhose and tie it very tightly with the hoke in the middle. Got some good hits but the recent spawn left the fish just browsing the waters (lots of rain and not getting into the flooded areas due to lack of boat). I really think that it will produce but only tried it about four hours when everyone was reporting no biting on the cats. It did get hit hard at the spillway but think that my treble was not set right. Think I will use the hose with a circle hook or strong J hook on the one side protruding from the hose for better sets.

Do not carry this type of bait in the car in plastic or anything else other than glass. Use food prep gloves or something similar as I could not get the smell out of anything. Had to use straight bleach when it exploded on the concrete. Place charcoal briquettes in the car open to help absorb the smell, probably will not cook with them.

Osage State Fishing is reporting good fishing for channels on stinks, cuts and worms from the 1 to 5 pound range which will make good eaters. Plan to fish it Sunday as I have my two little ones both under four for the next couple of days and they just do not sit well for catfishing, they really love to fish for live bait with me.

What do you all think? Overkill????
In my experience, the rotten stuff seems like a urban myth of some kind. The fresh stinky stuff (fresh shad, fresh livers ect) seem to get the job done way better than the nasty stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.