First annual sinker pouring party!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Nov 11, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Okay at least one guy here has been suggestinging a sinker making party. What it would be is that anyone who wanted to could bring lead and if they have any sinker molds they bring those too,and we all get together at a volonteers garage(HINT-HINT,anybody?) when the weather is crappy and we sit around and make sinkers,and everybody shares molds etc. and BS's,and maybe a potluck lunch. Right now I'm thinking sometime in January, it you interested leave a post and what type /size molds you can bring to the party,everybody should leave with a seasons worth of weights,and if you don't own any molds,no problem, lead can be bought at scrap yards and other places if you havn't made sinkers before the pipe is the best then wheel weights,then sheeting and other stuff.

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Don here!

For molds I have good molds for
    3,4,and 5 oz no-rolls
    sizes 1/4 oz through 3oz egg sinkers
    bank sinkers from 1/8 i believe to 1 1/2 oz

I have some other molds that arn't as good as the do it molds
    8,10,12,16 oz bank sinkers
    two or three jig molds
    bank sinkers from 1/2 oz to 3 1/2 oz

I plan to buy or aquire a flat bank sinker mold here soon and maybe one other.

I'm short on lead right now but will buy some and have plenty by the time this rolls around.

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    there ya go frank,next!

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    you know I'm in.....wherever we do it at....my garage would work fine....I got nothing for molds but I got lots of lead

I love the idea of never running out of sinkers....I lose a lot at the canal so having about 50 pounds made up and ready to go would be nice....

I'm sure this would be a good turnout....

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    just as an example I use to buy sinkers at wal-mart for 4 bucks a pack which had six 2oz sinkers in it....lead is cheap always under a dollar a pound....and now I take in scrape metal...i.e engine blocks.. stuff like that and recive lead as payment...

I had a smelter but I left it plugged in and water shorted it out....now I just use a stove to melt it....

this should be in the dead of winter so we will all be wanting to get out of the house....

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    That's what I've been doing the last two days it's been raining here so I got my stuff out and went to work.
    I have a noroll do-it mold in the 1-1 1/2-2 and 3 oz size.
    It's good to have a lot of weights when fishing rivers.

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Alright I can leave early on a Sat morning and then leave later in the day. Probably won't be able to stay more than a couple of hours. Or I have a three car garage to supply the place. I have no lead or molds but I'm up for hanging out a while. I'm sure I can pick up some lead somewhere so I'll have some. And yes not running out of weights is an awesome idea.
    So all in all I'm in.

8. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i have 3/4/5/6/8 no roll

6/8/10/12 in flatbank... just got about 2oo pounds of lead on saturday.. i don't pay for it but will tell ya it's nice to know people... make some weights for a guy keep some lead for yourself as payment.. i'll do this if you do that kinda stuff.... it's also nice to know you have friends in the tire business also

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I might, depends on when.

10. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm thinking the dead of winter would be best....like january sometime....that way we all want to get out of the house....cabin fever hits me pretty hard...

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    That's kind of what I fiqured on,in January it's usually colder than a witches,well you know. and I'm usually looking for low cost entertainment as I recover from the christmas spirit. The best ice fishing is early and late winter,so that shouldn't be much of a factor. And it's far enough away for folks to get a chance to plan to spend a day bs'ing and making sinkers. A Saturday would work the best I think.

A couple other things-- everybody interested look at a calender and say if there are any weekends you absolutly can NOT make it for a Saturday.

Also If anyone wants,and gives me notice,and will show up I will procure extra lead and bring it with and sell it at cost,so you don't have to mess with the scrapyard,or if anyones got extra let guys know that so they can make plans with you. I would recomend planning on pouring around 30 to 50 lbs of cleaned lead per person,it goes quick when those bigger sinker sizes start rolling out(4 - 4 oz. weights to the pound etc.)

Also I will bring sprue nippers and any other little tools I have,if you have some stuff let us know and we can hopefully have enough to really whip through a few hundred lbs of lead. we might need some camp stoves or the like for melting ,I know frank has one,mine is propane but it works,and maybe a turkey fryer burner,if I can't find out who borrowed mine.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    And for you guys that don't make your own already,this is one of those rare deals where the trip will easily pay for itself with the money you would save from buying from the store or where ever.And these are for the most part nice professional looking sinkers,I have a little touch of OCD,so any mitfits go back to remelt,we gotta be looking good out there! lol

13. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    all sound good to me...I got heat in my garage and gas hookups....I'm trying to find a r/v stove or somthing like that just for the lead....my buddy here in town has a smelter as well....I will share the lead I have with anyone who shows up....

don I hope its not just me and you because I know we are both stocked up allready!!!!! hopefully we see some new faces

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I know thats right Frank,if its just us we fiqure out something to work on, if you gots nat. gas to the garage I'll keep my eyes open for a apartment size stove or something,never know what a scrounger like me will come up with! But I sure hope some guys show up,to kill some time and have some fun!

15. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I will check my schedule at work and let you know when a good weekend for me is. I'm going to bring my 13 and 6 year old. Later bros

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    It's Franks garage,but I assume it's alright with him and the kids are more than welcome,Ill probably bring my older boy with, the only issue would be safety,and I'm sure we could easily lay some ground rules for the kids with molten metal present,If frank don't have a table,I'll bring one just for them,we might even put them to work,if they want to help. good stuff for the kids to learn with a lifetime of catfishing in front of them.Gets them off the playstation's,x box's,gameboy's,psp's and computers for awhile! Us too!

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'm not sure if I'll be there because of my dad and his chemo. Once he finishes the first round they will retest and see if it is doing any good. If not then I will probably stay close to home so I can go down there if I need to.

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well about the kids.....I won't allow my kids in the garage when molten lead is being pored....but if you think your kids can handle it then it's up to you...my garage is normally a no kid no wife zone...but I will make an acception

19. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    My garage is the same way but I make exceptions all the time. The wife hardly ever goes out there by her own choice. I think this will be a good thing for my 13 yr old to learn and the 6 yr old might not even be able to go if he has to go to his real dad's place.
    So are wheel weights worth a damn when it come to making weights. Because that is about all I'll be able to get out here. I'm not paying money for lead especially when I need to drive 20 miles to buy good lead. Let me know.

20. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    My dad went through that about 4 years ago. He's cancer free and I will pray for your father that he may get rid of that rotten stuff. My mom died of cancer about a year after my dad became cancer free. So I know both sides of the coin, and I pray everyone gets to the good side of the coin.