First aid thread for the field and stream?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Apr 20, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    we could use a good first aid section in here maybe rainman raymond and others could set this up .

actually i have a problem with removeing splinters and was wondering if someof you had any tricks or good advice on the best way to dislodge a tricky steel or wood sliver .
    i get thin steel slivers or shards from drywall screws and thin wood slinters fron luan underlayment sometimes i cant tell the direction they enter and it is hard to get them out.
    yeah yeah i dont want to perform an autopsy on my hands removeing them any better tips or tricks would be appreciated.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For metal, go have an MRI. It'll pull it right out.:)

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    ROTF, Mark that would be an expensive splinter puller.

DRC, I don't know any tricks and too blind to dig them out with a needle anymore. Hope someone gives you some pointers.

This is the second post for a first aid/medical thread/subforum. Where would the Mods like to put it? :surrender: :wink:

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    actually i read a thing about potatoe meat on the area for a few hors and it causes the splinter to be pushed out.

i know potatoes are great for welders flash
    if you ever get flashed from a welding arc take and put potatoe peels on your eyes white side touching the skin and it will take the burning and soreness out over nite.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    For first aid when I am out fishing, I like to have the following:

-Benadryl anti-itch stick works good on bites and poison ivy also good for catfish stings.
    -I always keep a couple of bandaids in the truck
    -Baby wipes, these can be a life saver when you have fish slime and mud and all the goodness of the outdoors on your hands, they may not sanitize, but they get rid of alot of the grime you may have on your hands.
    -Pocket knife or two, works for removing the stinger of a bee, scrape against the sting and eventually it will work out, could be used for some splinters.
    -Filet knife, I have used to remove a hook, by carefully cutting the skin above the hook, NOT FUN!
    -Tylenol or Ibuprofin, anti-inflamatory and helps with the occasional headache
    -Bottled water, use to rinse a wound out and to stay hydrated!
    -Lighter use to sterilize a knife tip or needle. I carry a spare in my tackle box.
    -In a pinch a belt can be used as a tourniquet, but be sure to give it a half twist so that it can be removed easier.
    -A sleeve from a T-shirt can be made into a bandage if need be.
    -Duct tape, can be used as a bandage, wrap to hold a splint or sprained ankle or wrist.
    -Sticks, they are everywhere and can be used in making a splint, a crutch, walking stick, or a stretcher
    -Poncho, can be used as a stretcher when used with two long strong tree limbs
    -If you sprain or suspect a sprained ankle and are wearing boots, lace them as tight as you can, this will provide stability and keep the swelling down.
    -A beach towel or T-shirt could be used for a sling in a pinch
    -Superglue, can be used to close a wound, I was told that superglue was invented by the military to be used as a battlefield wound closure because it would be faster than stitches.
    -Urine, this may sound gross, but urine is sterile to the body it came out of, I am not reccomending this, but you could rinse your hands with it if need be, hopefully you could use some babywipes afterthat!!

That is all I can think of now. You don't have to try and keep all of this on person, you can keep it in your vehicle or make a simple first aid kit and keep it with you. For some better ideas, if you have a first aid kit a work take a peek in there and see what they have in them, make a list and make it work for you.

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

DRC, if you can not remove the splinter with a pair of tweezers(funny you only need one set, not a pair) then take a credit card and use the flat edge to push the splinter up from the bottom until you can pull it out. Another option if that does not work if to use a pair of finger nail clippers, and clip away the skin above the splinter and pull it out. Please realize that the second method only works if you can see the whole splinter.

Ray

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Take a drop of super glue and put it on the splinter, let it dry then pull it off. splinter comes out stuck to the glue. Also good for small cuts, just put it on and hold the cut together till the glue is dried. Wife is an RN. Told me these little tricks

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Squirtspop beat me to the supper glue remedy,but that is for small splinters only. If it's really big and hurting really bad, you will have to amputate! Just heat up a knife till it is red hotthen take aim and a few practice swings, then look the other way and WHACK. No more splinter :D

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    By golly Jack, I like your solution too. Don't you have to do like they did in all them old western movies tho. Take a couple of good hard swigs outta the bottle first. That was the way they did snake bite. LOL

10. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sure hope I never get a splinter while fishing with you guys. he he.

11. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I use magnets to remove metal splinters it works great especially if like me the eyes don't focus like they used to.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this little devil is in the heel of my hand and its below surface
    i must have gotten a portion out but broke it off and the rest went on down.
    i need to get this rascal out its driveing me nuts.
    i will try potatoe trick tonite
    if that dont do it its a ice cube and razor knife.
    yeah my damn eyes dont focus like they used to i think i need reading glasses.
    for as caloused and rough as my hands are i sure get a lot of dang splinters.
    i would think i would repell them better.

im with you kelly i would just as soon put my hand in a meat grinder than to let some of these guys play doctor LOL