First Aid for Deep Water Blues that Bloat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jedimanhunter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    With your help, I wanted to educate myself and maybe others on what is FACT and what is FICTION on some fast, effective and safe ways to treat, cure or at least help those big blues that come from deep water and get bloated by the time they get to the surface. I release trophy class fish so I want to do everything I can to ensure those fish live for another day on the line.

1) I know you stick a cow with a large needle and the air leaks off like an open valve stem. Will that work on fish or would it take too long, cause injury or infection?

2) I have heard of sinking a fish back to a compression depth and the air is forced out. Fact or Fiction. If it works, how to you do it?

3) I have heard of sticking a small piece of PVC pipe down their throat and excess air blows out. Fact or Fiction. If it works, how to you do it?

I will once again show my ignorance to the subject. All of the above methods make total sense to me. I can understand a fish can get exhauted by the time it gets to the boat depending on long the angler allowed the fight to go on.

I can see where the fish may not have enough strength to get to deep water if its full of air to decompress on its on accord. Heck I can see that it does not matter cause that big fish is going to sink to the bottom. I can not confirm or deny that one.

So what is FACT and what is FICTION? What works and what doesnt?
    Does this problem fix itself?
    Should we have any concern about it?
    It is a rare occasion or should we expect this to occur?

If this is fatal to fish if not treated, should this be intregrated into the CPR mindset or is it already?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The PVC pipe will work just fine...I make sure it is wet then gently slide it in & twist & the same time..take it down in her!!! pretty far you will hear the air release or see the belly de-flate & the air sack will dissapear back where it came from....works well for me is use 3/4 inch or 1/2 will do...

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sorry guys but i dont ever have to do this ! stickin a pipe down there throat prolly dont do them any good either ! if you fight the fish and take your time and pull them in slowlyand enjoy your fight they will blow off this pressure on there own! i will never bring a deep fish in till it blows! theres not a better site that seein big bubble come from the deep water!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've seen and done the pvc pipe routine. Just make sure that the one ya use has had the edges properly smoothed and rounded out. The sound will amaze ya. LOL! Check out the link for one of my experiences. :wink:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75419

5. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Akwa-Lung1- That is interesting. I have to say:
    " i didnt know I didnt know." I believe I have seen that before but did not know what i was seeing. It will be interesting to watch for this year. Thanks for sharing. What depth do you think this usually occurs or is there anyway to tell.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

A rock hard belly is a sure sign. When properly burped it will be nice and soft.:wink:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ever catch a cat from deep water and its belly was bloated looking and very firm? When a fish is in deep water the air in its swim bladder is compressed from all the pressure around the fish. When the fish is brought up to quickly this compressed air expands as the pressure comes off of it and causes the fish to bloat. Normally a fish can equalize the pressure on is own as is rises, but not when pulled up quickly as often happens when we catch one. A fish that is bloated like this can not dive untill the air is released either naturally, or with a little help and will struggle on the surface and could die. Sometimes a cat will burp on its own when a little gentle pressure is applied to its belly by a hand or when lying on the bottom of a boat. If not, a small pipe can be inserted gently down it's throat until the air is released. Be carefull not to have your face in line with the pipe because often a little gift may come out along with the air :eek:oooh::smile2: . I use a ½ inch pvc pipe with the ends smoothed off for this.
    you will hear alot of people say to stick them with a needle.. DONT DO THAT! IT WILL KILL THEM. they will swim away at first, but it inhibits their ability to properly swim and suspend and eventually leads to mortality. As mentioned if you will bring them up slow that is the best but in the excitement sometimes we forget.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    take your time and enjoy your battle! i will never net one till it blows! it may take a min or two but it will happen!