Fireworks and catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WV Hillbilly, Jul 2, 2006.

1. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was just wondering that with the fourth coming up. Does anyone know if the loud booms and noises have any effects on catfish? I know that it sure disturbs peoples cats and dogs and was hoping that maybe it might agitate them enough to feed more aggressively. Just a thought.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    last year i went out catfishing during our town's fireworks (shot off right over the river) and i caught several fish during them. all were small channels because i was not sitting in a prime spot for fishing b/c i wanted to watch the fireworks too :smile2: . then at the end of the summer we had Montgomery Gentry come to town and play at our pavillion, literally 15 yards from the river. I went out and fished during the concert (only 100 yards away) and had one of the best nights of the summer. I caught several blues of considerable weight (8-10 lbs) and even one channel that went 12 pounds ( i think they just like Montgomery Gentry and now i blare it every time i fish). My theory is that the Ohio River sees so much boat traffic and barges that these catfish are used to noise and don't let it affect them that much. Although i do think they will become spooked in a quiet section of the river if you bang around. they seem to know if the noise is a sinker hitting the boat or a country music group rocking out. Smart little critters. :lol:

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I don't see why it should effect fishing negatively... If your sitting there watching the fireworks and enjoying the night then you haven't had a bad night at all... Catching on the other hand i don't know about...i'm usually working walking dogs during the celebrations so i don't get a chance to be fishing... I don't see why it would effect catching at all...

only other thing i can think of is that the noise and commotion takes you away from concentrating on the fishing rods making time seem to go a little quicker and also keeps you from setting the hook too soon and letting the fish hook them selves...

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I fished in a tournament 3 years ago during the 4th and only 5 fish was caught that night. Over 70 people were in the tournament for 4 hours. I believe it did have an impact that night.

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In my opinion they think its lightning & thunder & will hide under a rock to keep from getting rained on! LOL I really dont think it matters much.Abu65

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It has never slowed down my fishing unless people were throwing m-80's in the water which they got in trouble for

7. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We have been fishing Grand Lake last couple weeks and catching a few.
    We went out all weekend and didn't catch a thing but a few perch.
    I don't know if it had anything to do with the fireworks or all the boats on the lake, but the fishing was not any good.

I talked to a few people and they had the same bad luck?

I'm going to give it a few days and hit it again and see what happens?

Ken

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think That the concussion against the water would disturb them. It is not a natural noise on most water. The flashes of different colored light might also have an effect to some degree. Personally I thinnk they run for protective cover and hold tight, or deep.

9. Repete

Repete New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last year the only night that we didn't catch fish was on the 4th of July. The idiots in one of the cabins near ours were lighting 1/3 sticks of dynamite. The cops came out and made them leave. They just couldn't figure out why someone would have called in on them.

10. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I was sitting on the bank fishing one night not too long ago, a week or two before the fourth. A loud boom rocked across the lake. One of them ones you can feel in the ground. I didn't see a flash or anything and still can't explain it, but when it happened it stirred up a big fish in the shallows. I don't know if it was a catfish or carp, or whatever, but I didn't catch anything for four hours after that.

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I go out on the fourth and do not catch anything, then it is the fireworks fault. If I do catch some, then the catfish are deaf and I am thankful.

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish a lake near a military base, and you can feel and hear the artillery shots, and the fishing is so-so.

13. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We heard and felt some of them Saturday night.

I don't know what they were, but from were we were, we didn't see anything and it was only a couple blocks from where we were.

When they went off, it felt like an earthquake and one of the loudest I've ever heard, it hurt our ears.

Ken

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my brother and myself caught 35 to 40 pounds as we watched fireworks and I am a bad catfisherman.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I was fishing my local river back about the middle of May and was having a real good night. I had landed four Flatheads and the they were biting real well when someone across the river from me starts shooting off all these big, loud booming fireworks. I didn't get another bite for the next several hours. I think the noise and vibration spooked the fish cause it was quiet and calm before the fireworks started.

16. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, I think I know why they don't bite while fireworks are being shot. They're watching the fireworks and admiring them just like we are. They don't have time to take a bite!! :roll_eyes: :big_smile: