Firestone 10 H.p.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by glenmorebuckman, May 14, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I have an old Firestone 10 I'm wanting to try and get a little information on. It's serial number is 18353541 and the code number is 133-3-1835 stock number is 10-a-104 does anybody know what year this motor is? Also, what is the oil mixture on it? It says 1/2 pint of sae 30 oil to one gallon of gas. Is this just regular motor oil?

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    scott-atwater made the firestone engines ............. i will make a wild guess and say it is a 1953 engine ............. the 1835 is sorta close to s-a numbering .......... the 1 means single cylinder(i believe) , the 8 means 10 horse and the 35 is reversed to say 53, which means 1953 in scott-atwater terminology....... sae 30 motor oil was not uncommon for the old engines ...

3. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Wouldn't 2 cycle oil be alright to use in this? If so, is it going to be a 50:1 mix? The motor belonged to my uncle who recently passed away and I'd like to see if I can get it running. It looks great on the outside with all the original decals and paint. Someone I know says he had it running good a few months ago but never used it.

4. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Any good 2-cycle oil wouldbe fine to run in it.Hope ya get it running.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Whoa!

If my math is correct, 1/2 pint to 1 gal is 16:1...I wouldn't use a 50:1 mix in that old engine.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    First of all, were talking about two different types of oil. SAE 30, and todays 2 stroke oil.

Next there's the typ of bearings that need lubricated.

I'm no authority on the oder engines, but it did run on SAE 30w motor oil at one time and it ain't broke yet:wink:

7. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I put the Firestone in a tank and checked the fire on the plugs but only one was firing, so I pulled the flywheel and found one of the set screws on the points had loosened. I re-adjusted the points and hooked it up to a fuel line and sprayed a little gas mix in the carb. and gave it a pull. Holy Cow, it started!!! I let it run for about a minute, I didn't see any pee hole for the water to come out of. There was a little coming out the exhaust but I didn't want to take a chance and overheat it. It ran as smooth as silk though. Now if I can find out about a pee hole. I might drop the lower unit and check the impellar just to be safe. It's bound to need one after 54 years!

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    there's a fair chance the old motor is air cooled........... no pee hole...

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No pee hole but it is water cooled or you wouldn't be getting water out of the exhuast port.

Being as there is a water pump, it'll need changing at some time, sooner than later, it's old.

10. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms