Fireline

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by aaron, Aug 31, 2007.

1. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    has anyone used fireline catfishin?

i used to use it for bass fishing and liked it so i was wonderin how it would do bottom fishin

thanks
    aaron

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use the lighter weights (8 and 10 pound) on a little spinning rod for seatrout, but the larger weights (like 20 and 30 and up) look very thick to me compared to other braids,like Suffix and Power Pro. (I've been told Fireline is not actually a braid.) I would go to a store that carries several brands and compare.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I don't normally catfish, but I use Fireline for plugging and baitfishing on the baitrunners and smaller Abu reels. It is very popular up here in the noreast with the surf rats.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use nothing but fireline now. I wont use anything else.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used super lines before and the only problem I had was around rocks. The ones I tried frayed really bad. There was a coated one, maybe Fusion? When the line rubbed against rocks the coating/sleeve material would bunch up like a pushed down sock around the inner strands.

6. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    thanks alot for the input guys

aaron

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fireline is a fused line, not like braids.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I hated fireline. If the clearance aisle at Cabela's is an indicator, so did/do a lot of other people:smile2: To be fair, it was one of the first superlines I tried, maybe I didn't try it long enough. I use PowerPro most of the time, although I'm liking the Shakespeare Ugly Braid that I put on one reel for a test. Good Luck!

Branden

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Now dont quote me on this but from what info I have read is that spyderline is the original braided line, besides that dacron line, something different. I believe that spyderline makes and/or licenses there patent to all the others like powerpro berkeley suffix etc.etc. Now maybe Im just seeing things but dont they all have the same little sticker on the front. Notice how spiderline comes in 150 yd. spools and all the rest come in 125 yd. spools and are more expensive??? give us your thoughts on this.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure who was first, but PowerPro is made from Spectra fibers. Fireline I believe is a different fiber and I think it's a fused line instead of a true braid. I think some of the Spiderwires (stealth) are fused as well. I think Dyneema is the other fiber some of the lines are made of, but I haven't really paid much attention. I've had good luck with Spiderwire as well and it's all a buddy of mine uses. I just like the ol' PowerPro. Good Luck!

Branden

11. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have tried Spyderwire, PowerPro, and Fireline. I have used only Fireline, for the last 2 1/2 years, on all of my casting and spinning reels. My experience has confirmed, for me, that Fireline is functionally more advanced than monofiliment or other superlines. Fireline floats, has no strech, can withstand UV, and has no "coiling" memory. The instant sensitivity of a fish contacting the bait is impressive. You do not have fight the line to fish. I am not wasting 15% of my fishing time uncoiling wind knots, casting snarls, etc.. I spend my time fishing, while catching fish.

Don't worry about the fuzzing that you may see on the surface of the line. You are use to monofiliment and of course this bothers you. Take that fuzzed piece of Fireline and see what tension it breaks at. It will impress you. All of of those many-many filiments share the load. Each filiment carries only a small portion of the total load. You still have line strength even if the surface is fuzzed. I have not lost a fish due to a line break in 2 1/2 years. My oldest Fireline still works like new. Of course I remove the worn "working end" of the line, when I feel I need to. Bottom line is that I am impressed with Fireline.