fireline braid or spiderwire braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by River_monster91, Jun 10, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well bought some spider wire braid for my new fishing pole but my dad aid he likes the fireline braid better than spiderwire(hes used both). just wanting some pros and cons on both of em and see what yall think

2. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well i guess i better try both and see for myself

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Check out power pro braid it is the best in my opinion. Never tried the others though but most folks around these parts swear by the power pro.

Let us know what you figure out in your tests.

4. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    i dont really like the powerpro. never fished it but i tied some knots with it and it just kinda feels wierd to me. i might end up having to give it a shot. ive heard some good stuff about it but ive also heard some bad stuff about it too. ill get some fireline and another rod and reel and see how that works and i might also try one with powerpro on it.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    POWER PRO!!!!!! Thats the only way to go. Spider wire has never laid right on my reels. When I've gotten big bites and set the hook, it gets wedged between the line on the reel. Next cast, it won't cast. Next cast after fixing it, extreme backlash. Never had these problems with power pro.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried Stealth and had problems casting due to the line digging in and getting buried. I switched to Power Pro on my Abu 6500's and the line casts great with no problems. I use #65. Good luck.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've used Fireline quite a bit, and prefer PowerPro. The Fireline has a sort of fuzzy feel to it that I don't care for, and in one case, the strength of the first 20 yards of line deteriorated, to the point where I could break it by hand.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe Fireline is an extruded line and not really a braid.I used it initially in 50lb but they quit making it and it was to "bulky" in my mind.I switched to braid and never looked back.I keep hearing this "PROBLEM" with braid on baitcasters that it digs in when you set the hook and then backlashes on the next cast.I dont see that as a braid problem per se.Braid is thinner than mono and will dig itself in between strands on a baitcaster I guess.KNOWING this perhaps its time to switch to circles and quit setting the hook.:smile2::big_smile:I just havent encountered this problem with spinners.If I try and break a snag off then I know it will dig in so I take steps not to try and break off directly from the spool.Forwarned is forarmed.:smile2:

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    donnie you have seen me fish on rod and reel and you know our sytem just as good as the next guy so i prefer spider wire but thats my oppinion but you have been out there with me and seen what it can handle

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm starting to like sufix braid. I'm a hard sale as well I hated all other braids before this one.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use both myself but prefer the spiderwire.

12. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i've tried nearly all of the braids/superlines. for the most part, they all have their uses. with that being said, i still can't find a use for fireline lol. i've tried it once, didn't like it because it would fray and i'd start breaking off. not just the last couple feet, but the whole thing would go. i waited a few years and tried it again figuring maybe i got a bad spool or maybe i'm just a little smarter about it now. not so much....had the same problem. stren super braid is pretty decent....a little cheaper....and that seems to be not quite as tough as power pro, sufix, or spiderwire. i have sufix, powerpro, and stren super braid on my catfish rods and they all work well (except for what i previously stated about stren) i have most of my bass rods rigged with spiderwire stealth and i like it, have used it for years. it's quite through the guides and is real smooth. i have suffix and powerpro on some of my spinning reels and that works great too. the sufix is really loud going through the guides, but if you don't mind, its a great line. and i've never had any of them cut down into the eyes of my rods....maybe i should get a 5 dollar walmart rod and see if it will cut down into those:tounge_out::wink:

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    only thing that made me stick to spider wire is the price. dang near 15 bucks for a dang 125yrd spool of fireline and its only 20lb. i can get an extra 25 yards of spiderwire for almost 3 dollars cheaper. i still might buy some fireline just for my channel cat poles but i dont know if i could trust it with flatheads. like gus said i have fished with him and hes a firm believer of spider wire and ive seen the abuse it can take. bad thing is when you hook into a snag you will either bring in the snag, cut your fingeroff from grabbing the line to break it, or straiten your hook out. yea that stuff is strong but thats what i like about it. one thing i will say though (and i think its my fault) is when i was stringing my reel up i left about 10yds of mono on it and attached the spiderwire and it seems to have made my line dig into itself toward the end of the spool. i dont know what caused this but ill get it straited out later.

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if its at the end in our small river you will never use more than 50 yds:cool2:

15. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    that is true gus. when i fish for big cats and stripers at the lake i know it will take alot to spool a reel even with 150 yards of line on it but when you get snagged you will lose line. i like to have as much line on my reel as i can get without overloading it. so we ready to get than new world record flathead friday night gus?

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i am ready to fish i expect a good night and sweat to catch them tho

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    you oughta try gettin cj and jack to come out with us. if i see cj ill try talkin him into going then i can hitch a ride with him.