Fireflies?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ol Man, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anybody else notice fireflies aren't as plentiful as they used to be? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Maybe they have migrated to greener pastures.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I tend to agree with ya there Jeb.....but I don't go out to hunt for 'em anymore. I have seen a FEW this summer, outside my bedroom window when I was about to fall asleep. If I had kids/grandkids, I'd judge it by what THEY could catch. I'd help 'em if possible, even though I do believe firefly season has passed in my neck of the woods at this point.

I think I was five, maybe six years old, but I remember my "first cousin once removed", Ricky, out in my great-aunt's front yard......my mom and dad, and his mom and dad, sittin' on the porch talking......and he and I catchin' a whole mayo jar full of lightnin' bugs. He must've been 13/14 years old at the time. I stlll appreciate that. I thought I was BIG STUFF, my older cousin takin' the time to catch bugs with me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Seems that way but still see them in the yard at different times of the year. Also use to see more smashed on the windshield while driving at night.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not here..We have an infestation of them..

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i have a reproduction of a 1908 sears & roebuck catalog .......... they sold a poison just for killing fireflies !!!!! we have tons of lightning bugs in misipy !!!

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jeb I've hardly seen any here that's for sure. As a youth they were thousands of them now hardly none.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in the part of New Mexico that I live in ,I never remember ever seeing a firefly in my life till about three years ago,I was night fishing at our local lake. Saw a bunch that nite. I think they may migrate ,I allways had fond memories as a child when visiting relatives in MO chasing them.