Firearm safety - whatever happened to it?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BKS72, Mar 23, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    A buddy and I went to the ramp today to get away from the candy-hyped kids. We get to the ramp and there's two teenagers there with guns. One had a .22 and the other a shotgun.

They're not supposed to be shooting there, but I didn't think much of it. Then one of the jokers rattles of a 10 or 20 shots as fast as he can pull the trigger. Shooting into the mud puddle 2 feet in front of him like a kid with a bb gun. I asked him politely (but with an aggravated tone) to please refrain from shooting till we'd vacated the area. He said sorry and laid off. Until we got the truck parked and got into the boat, then they started shooting again. The parking lot at the ramp is quite a bit higher than the water and I'm sure the goofs were firing over the river as we were heading out. Not with any intention of shooting near us, just too dense and oblivious to realize bullets go further than whatever it was they were shooting at.

I realize I'm in the wrong, I should have called the local PD and let them run the kids out, but my bigger question is who taught (or more to the point DIDN'T) teach these 2 rocket scientists about guns? And why did they let them out of the house with them?

I'm not for yanking guns or any of that, but when I see this kind of reckless stupidity with firearms it really makes it hard for me to buy the whole argument for minimal restrictions on gun sales. These 2 had no more business having guns unsupervised than my 5 year old would and probably the same amount of common sense. I'm not sure how old these 2 were, but I'd bet they weren't old enough to buy them, so somebody, probably a parent, bought them for them. I have to take a safety course to hunt, so why in the heck should any goof with $100 bucks be able to buy a gun? Not trying to start a fight, but I'm just curious what everyone's take on it is.

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    my thought is wondering where the parents of these kids were. i hunt and grew up around guns. i never had a gun out without an adult till i was 18. if the parents don't instill the respect for guns into their kids we can only hope that the states will do something to keep them out of the hands of idiots.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Branden,I grew up around guns and was taught responsible handeling,at a young age. I took the hunters safety course at 10 or 11 and at 15 I was hunting on my own ,alone. I was very responsible for my age . I wouldnt let my 11 yr old do what my folks did at my age even though she passed her hunters safety course with a 98%. The parents are the real problem here.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i think the athourities should have notified. if they had no more sence than that they should hve been stopped. they could have killed someone. first thing i did with my 8 year old last year showing him how to shoot was explain the workings of the safety. and always have it on till you are aiming at the target. i like shooting up some cans and such but in a public area. no. they needed stopped and their parents in the ringer for letting run off with them.

as far as gun laws go. only thing taking our guns do if leave us at the mercy of the government and thats not good. and disarming the country only disarms the responsible ones. the criminals have no records they own them. but stupid people need som watching. lol.

glad no one in your party was injured.:eek:oooh:

5. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I was taught by my dad about firarm safety ..........we boys had to go thru a grueling apprenticeship as rabbit and quail dogs then when we reached about 15 were included in the gun carrying crew. Foremost always treat a gun as if it could be loaded and never point a gun at someone unless u plan to use it.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I guess that's what irked me. Like you guys, I've been around guns and hunting since I was a kid. But touch one when I wasn't supposed to or break one of the safety rules I was taught and I was in all kinds of trouble. Never would have occurred to me to show up in a public area and go "target" shooting. Target in quotes cause these guys were just as likely to shoot the ground at their feet as they were to try and hit a targe........:eek:oooh:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've always said guns don't kill people, stupidity does. Personally i feel the law should have been notified and perhaps even detain the kids till they arrive but i wasn't there and would have prolly made things worse had i been. Glad everything worked out ok. Also Branden, enjoy your trip and see ya when you get back.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I feel you should have called the authorities. We already have PLENTY gun laws.

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    when i was growing up it was a whole diffent story, everone hunted and being taught how to handle a weapon safely. I carried that over to my kids. Now days gun safety is almost a forgoten habbit. I had my kids in hunter safety classes and sat through them as well. It is worth the time to reaquianit yourself with gun safety, it is so easy to let down your guard and do stupid things, We hunt in close quaters in a duck blind and safety is #1 at all times. #1 rull is safety on and muzzle control at all the time keep your eye on that muzzle make sure it is always in a safe direction.

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Kids like that are going to be the reason why I wont be able to teach my daughter when she's old enough to hold a .22 . The cops should have been called. Their parents deffinately needed to be held accountable. As a gun owner with a ccw permit, Im extra careful because I dont want to loose that right. It could have been two scenarios. one the drunk redneck family that'll eat road kill and is missing most of their teeth just didnt teach them to be responsible with firearms because they dont know better themselves. Or, they have good parents but the kids stole the guns with out them knowing. Other then my carry weapon, My guns are in a safe (one of the cheap $80 jobs). And when my daughter is a little older (she's 10 mnths) I'll be putting trigger locks on them all. In either case, the parents need to know whats up.

11. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    my dad wouldnt even buy me a slingshot until i took huntersafety. it turned out to be a fun class. but i agree with you those kids shouldnt ahve had those guns and its behavior like that that starts all the arguments about how they are unsafe and whatnot.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You guys are right, I should have called the cops. My thinking was that they were definitely irresponsible, but not mouthy or disrespectful when I asked them to refrain until we got out of the area so they weren't "bad", just ignorant. I would have felt terrible, even though they had it coming, if they would have drawn a hard@#$ officer and wound up getting tagged with a serious violation or taken to jail. That is, of course, better than somebody getting hurt, though.

Times have changed since I was a kid and while I wanted them taught a lesson, you never know these days if they would have gotten run in for being terrorists or something. :sad2: When I was that age the cops would have just called my old man and THAT would have been enough to make my life miserable.

13. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    trying for 10 posts

14. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    10 posts, sorry