Fire!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Oct 13, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    This morning I awoke to a smoke filled sky.
    Taking a look outside I could see a huge plume rising from just a few miles away but across the eight lanes of the Ronald Reagan Freeway (118) over in Porter Ranch.
    The wind was blowing the smoke directly over our home so I turned on the TV to local news and woke my daughter to tell her to get her and my grand kids prepared in case we had to go.
    About 1:00PM the sheriff came down our street with a mandatory evacuation order, said the fire had crossed the freeway and was heading in our direction.
    So here I sit at my sons house just 8 miles from home waiting for the okay to return home. Should come some time tomorrow.
    Hopefully we will have a home to return to.
    This is the price we pay to live among the hills of southern California.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hope everything is OK when you return home, Tom! That must be a tough pill to swallow.
    Bill in SC

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    dang tom, i know there are a lot of people have to leave home for thosed fires, but was hoping no one i knew.
    hopely it'll either get put out or go around you.
    gary

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The hill side we live on is a rocky sandstone outcropping with very little chaparral among the rocks and not a lot of grass around due to the diligence of our property management company so our place should be fairly safe.
    Last I heard the fire was spreading into Ventura Co. which is just northwest of our location by about 300 yards. Lots of fuel to burn further uphill from us on toward the west. Not many houses until you get into Simi Valley.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Is it them Santa Ana winds Tom? Sure hope all is well Tom Brother. Fires up here but seen on the news. Didn't know you were apart. Its on the news right now up here. Man strong winds need to die down!

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    When it came time to go I put my laptop in my bag so I wouldn't be out of touch.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tom i'll be praying for you and the family that all is well for you.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Dang Tom; I thought of you this morning watching the news. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Jaime

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tom,
    We will be praying for you and your family that all will be OK when you return

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tom,

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe by now you are back, safe in your home.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Same here Tom. Hope your back home safe:wink:

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    So far we have been lucky. The fire has not reached our canyon yet although the evac order is still in effect. The winds have not stopped and we are still in the path of wind blown embers.
    Hopefully the combined efforts of the firefighters from around the state that have responded to our need will be able to keep the beast in check untill the Santa Ana winds die down tonight or tomorrow

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the update Tom.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grew up not to far from ya Tom, La Crescenta. I know about fires down that way. Hope ya keep safe.

15. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Just a note to tell you all that the evacuation order was lifted and we are back in our home.
    The Sesnon fire passed about three miles to the north of us going into the Simi Valley.
    Although we were in the down wind area and got a lot of smoke, no fire crossed the 118 freeway west of Topanga Canyon road.
    Our home, even though threatened, was never in active danger, the fire stayed two canyons over as it went through the Santa Susana Pass.
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    thanks for the update tom. was thinking of you this morning and wondering if you had gotten back into house yet. hopefully this will be the worse one for you from now on.
    gary

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good to hear you are back at home and it is safe and sound. thanks for the report Tom.

18. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    glad to hear you are ok. i have never had a fire burn near my house (as i live in lake balboa), but in '05 one of the malibu fires burned right up to my office on las virgines and the 101. seeing those 100 - 200 foot high flames was scarry as hell and it was unbelievable how far that heat could radiate.

again, i am very happy to hear that your family is ok.

19. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Glad to hear everything is okay. I haven't been on the post in awhile so I didn't know what was going on. Must have been a pretty scary thing to go through. I've been watching the news and the sesnon fire had 0% containment as of yesterday. Terrible thing for so many families losing their homes right now. I know for about a week when the fires were really bad up here it seemed like it was always evening or night time. The air quality has to be pretty bad too, not that it is not bad enough without the fires. Well, definitely glad to hear everything is ok. Take it easy buddy.

Sean!

20. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Cool glad to hear some good news for a change.

Jaime