Fire!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Oct 22, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As I write this, I sit here in the hills between the Semi and San Fernando Valleys with fires burning on three sides within 20 miles and hoping for a break in the wind. The sun is quite dim due to smoke overhead and the wind is gusting up to about 45 mph with a steady 20 mph.
    I'm just hoping our little section of brush covered hillsides are spared from this years conflagration. We had a small (less than 200 acres) fire just down the hill last year that was quickly handled by the FD but with such a strain on resources as is going on right now if a fire gets started here they may not be able to put enough manpower on the fire line to quickly contain it.
    If you have been watching the news you have seen that homes are being lost in some of the canyon areas. This is the price we may pay for trying to live outside of the congestion of the homes down the hill.
    There is a fire burning in Santiago Cyn. right now just a couple of miles from Irvine Lake and less than a mile from the fire station that I plumbed not three years ago. A new fire has just started in Lake Arrowhead that due to the high wind turbulence they can't get any air support for. That's in San Bernardino National Forest where they have many standing dead trees due to drought and bark beetles killing them off. That could be a major fire by this evening.

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Good Luck. I wish you could get some of the rain we are getting today.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    sorry to hear that tom

i used to hate the dang fire's out there. i guess my in-laws still hate those danged fires. i remember when that fire made it down to lake dixon, man i was po'd about that.

i have to say i have allways been baffled by california's policies on wildfire's etc. i never understood why they dont select harvest some of those tree's instead of letting the beetles kill them, and then becoming a fire hazard.

it also confuses me that the state doesnt implement a yearly control burn program. i know it sounds insane to most cali' folks. but, you can control a burn of the right size, and use it to get rid of the underbrush that A: takes nutrients and water out of the soil from the tree's--
    B: wont be left standing dead and dried out for the dangerous months of the year.

some of the most beautiful forrests ive ever seen get control burned every 2 years or so. all the native grass and shrubs come back more fertilized than ever. and you dont have to worry about all that ol kindlin laying around. plus the tree's are healthier. my 2 cents.

good luck with the smoke tom.

4. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    tom,
    hope yours turns out ok, up in arrowhead my dad had to leave his home this am. the fire was about a mile from his place.... this whole fire thing sucks!! I will be heading down the hill later this evening to work at looter patrol, while the extra money is nice, I would rather stay home.

again, tom I hope your home does ok. just please stay safe.

5. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    well good luck with blaze tom,hope alll turn out ok for ya...i,m gonna have to get with you in the chat room one nite and talk shop and see how your plumbing codes are different from ours.....(yeah i'm a turd herder also)...lol

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, hope all turns out ok. Very sorry to hear about your situation.
    From what I heard from the news winds are blowing around 20 mph.
    Keep us posted and will keep my fingers crossed that all will turn out ok.

Jaime

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    UPC is the UPC anywhere it's adopted. Unless Florida cities use the IPC the codes should be the same with the exception that California has an additional earthquake code that has to be met.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    We don't have fire right in our neighborhood yet. But being right in the Box Cyn./Santa Susana pass area it's a concern.
    So far the worst problem we are having is the power keeps going out due to the wind.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom... You know that I have been to your place...or Daughters place... that drive up there would be a "bear" for a fire truck... is there a hydrant or a big res.. that can be used if needed????? To get off the hill, in the smoke etc. in an emergency is difficult at best .......(I think).

I pray that you are given substancal warning to get out or take a stand...... The steepness of the terrain surely can pose problems.....

Good Luck to you and the family for this fire season.....

10. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    we are trying to get the ipc established but for the most part we still consider ourselves in the southern standard code....i left florida for a year moved to ten. and had a helluva of time trying to adapt to there ways(backwoods hillbilly outhouse style) the hardest was the terminology like combo's being called t-wyes(i actually got in heated yelling match with my foreman over it)...lol....what pertanes to the earthquake code for example?

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray, we have a couple of substantial water tank/reservoirs up the hill that provide well over 150 psi at the fire hydrant located less than 25' from my bedroom. and the fire trucks have n problem getting here as evidenced by their arrival (although after the fact) when we had a fire under our deck last year that I put out.
    My main concern is the availability of enough firefighters to contain any fire that starts here considering how any resources are diverted to the big fires in Malibu and now Bouquet Cyn.

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, there's not a lot of difference between the IPC and the UPC.
    As far as EQ standards they mostly contend with bracing of LP and natural gas appliances like water heaters, boilers, stoves and the like and their fuel and vent systems. The biggest problems after a major quake is fire and most of those are caused by broken gas lines , many by falling water heaters.
    Of course after each quake we get a new set of requirements when they find out that what they thought was safe didn't work.
    May cities now are requiring the installation of EQ valves at the gas meter connection to the house. They work but can be tripped by a heavy truck passing by or kids playing too near if not properly braced when installed, so we get a lot of service calls for no hot water where they are used.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    one daughter has evacuated escondido today, one daughter managed to make it over 8 to my place in yuma with son and niece today. fire is about a block from her apt now and we are praying it will stay away. son is in vista and hoping won't have to leave and if so, doesn't know where to go.
    it's a bad thing. sure glad i don't live there and really feel for the people in southern ca.
    news just said they closed the east bound 8 now.
    this sounds worse than the cedar fire for sure.
    gary
    correction. they just announced 8 closed except to small vehicles only.

i'm dancing for rain, that wind will stop, or maricle. (spl)
    gary

14. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Unfortunately wildfires are part of the price we pay to live in sunny California. (along with Earthquakes) No rain...sunny days...almost all year around. I wish the best for all of the people who have property or family in the fire zone areas. It always amazes me that it seems that the wild fires happen at the worst possible times of the year. I guess that is why them call them wildfires and not just fires. Best of luck to you Tom. May the wind gods be on your side.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Not may of you folks out there can see what this does to the air that we breath out here......."Skys burning out here" looking down the street as the sun sinks over the pacific....

What a price to pay.......

bayrunner ray

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Here in the valley we get your smoke from the south even, yup somehow it makes it over them mountains then on top of that we get the northern smoke. Recently our valley here was so filled with smoke that warnings were given that no one should be outdoors, there was a haze for dayz in our air.

SUCKS to be in this valley at times far as fire goes I have experienced 2 major fires, the most recent was a 3 story building that caught fire just after being completely framed, that fire nearly took my apartment with it thankfully the fire department kept our side wet.

This is what we had no more then 100 feet away

Attached Files:

17. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    what was left of 5 acres worth of apartments that was the only thing standing because that building had stucco on it, it looked like 9/11 ground zero

Attached Files:

18. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i am currently working off cleghorn rd. in Cajon pass for a construction company that is working for the railroad. i feel bad for the homes up in the hills because of their loses. our company is also loosing work due to the fires. sunday they had a fire under the 15 overpass,job shut down as well as the railway, we were blocked out from getting our personal vehicals as well to return our work equipment to the yard, had to take a 3 miles dirt road in the back of the hills to park and drive our personals back in there just to get home, yesterday the 15 was shut down as lytlle creek blew up, took me 2 1/2 hours to get home from the yard to vanburen, this morning took me an hour 1/2 to get to work due to the 215 being shut down that merges into the 15, just to find out we were shut down, state of emergancy, air quality and job are just in a world of hurt not to mention a few guys might loose their homes that work with me, i pray that all you so cal cats be safe, dont drive unless you have to, and watch traffic because its a mess out there....

19. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Its REALLY bad I just saw the news stay safe Tom