Fire Station Radios

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by YeeHaw, Apr 2, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I'm a voulenteer member of Payson IL Fire Dept. We are currently going to get radios for the trucks. We have never had radios for them before. What types of radios do you other fire fighter/ EMTs use in your station? We just need a good reliable radio that can be tuned to different frequencies, or post a website on here for me and that will be greatly apprectated also.
    Thanks a lot,
    YeeHaw

2. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Speaking from the police perspective, Motorola is hard to beat, as is GE or Kenwood. It is all going to depend upon what frequencies and capabilities the dispatch center, fire departments, police and EMS have in your area. You want to get a compatible system. The key buzzword right now with the FEDs is "interoperability" or the ability to communicate with multiple agencies with your radios during a crisis. The second thing I would do is call all radio vendors in your area and ask for bids. Price is also going to be a consideration. I do grant writing for my department, and there are a lot of Homeland Security Grants available for radio equipment. Check with your county emergency government director....he or she should be well versed with all the Homeland Security funds out there.

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    What is the style numbers or letters on the radios? And what kind of antennas do you use?

4. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Gosh..I don't know the exact model numbers off hand. My agency uses GE radios, the county sheriff uses motorola. Both compatible with each other. I will ask my Captain for model numbers tomorrow and give them to you via private messaging.

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    alright thanks a lot.

6. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    As far as antennas, I don't know model numbers on them, but they are screw on mounts. The mounts are about one inch circular diameter on the roof, stainless steel or chrome antenna extending about 12 inches high. Our jurisdiction is 36 square miles. We have a base station tower with centralized dispatch at our PD. Tower is about 3 stories. Verizon Wireless also does our "wireless" internet connections for our laptop computers. It is all tied into our base station tower. The computers might be another grant investment you would want to look at. You can download blueprints and Hazmat materials cautionary flags into the computer for any business you serve. When you are rolling to a hitch you can pull that info up on the computer and keep command posted on hazards.

7. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    If you give the radio vendor the mileage requirements and restrictions for your radio system, along with frequency requirements, they will usually be able to put together a package deal for you including antenna, recommended radio equipment, etc. If I had to make an educated guess, I think Motorola is one of the most common radios used by public safety. One of the guys I work with at the PD is also a volunteer firefighter in an adjacent township. He is a "radio guru", so I will see if I can tap him for info. Will be in touch.

8. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

GRANTS!!!! GRANTS!!! GRANTS!!!!!

That is the best way. Find someone who is willing to deal with your specific needs. Make sure you have both mobile(in truck) and portable(hand held) along with your "base" radio(in station). Radio's are a valuable tool. Never go into a structure fire without one.

Ray

10. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Follow the link safetybass gives and get info and the ball rolling -
    Contact the 911 center in your area for guidence as they know what you will need for your area (frequencies) and what grants to apply for -
    I was the Motorola Gov. Rep for Northwestern Illinois back in the 80's and even though things have changed in 20 years, one thing has not! Motorola is still the leader for both product and service! Contacting them will answer all your questions! You don't want to buy equipment a second time, stick with quality not price and get a service agreement because the annual check up and prompt service is worth the price!
    If you do not qualify for a grant then do a fundraizer from those in your area that would benifite the most because of communications! Your Motorola rep will help you with this at meetings and booths - It's their JOB!

Good luck and get this done! - It will save lives and property!

11. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    You said a mouthful about Motorola being on top with customer service and products. I never understood why my agency went with GE/Ericsson. I think they underbid Motorola....you get what you pay for.

12. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    A little story about state bids!
    First off the lowest isn't always the best and if Motorola wants the bid no one can drop the STATE bid like they can!
    I was on the bid team one year - we blew GE out of the water the year before on base stations - at the bid opening we were setting their with our sealed bid and the GE guys said there was no way we would get the base station bid that year - well on the front of the packet is what you are bidding on and we always carried several packets and always put one on the chairmans table last - you see it was like a game for us to see what the others were bidding on and which packet we would leave for the opening - that year we put down the packet without the base stations in it - GE bid higher on everything but the bases which they really wanted and went lower then we did the year before - they only got the base bid and we got the rest - talk about mad - they lost money on one item and we made a small profit on the rest - they had no idea how to bid the next year!

Check to see what state bid is for equipment - ask for it from your local dealer - he can give you that price - at least the Motorola dealers can!