Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Dave L, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Is there any rule of thumb/coast guard regulation for deciding what size of fire extinguisher you should have on your boat? I don't see to much talk about it and was wondering how big is big enough?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hmm, good question. Im no expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :tounge_out:) .. I would say just your standard size you can get at your wally world etc should be good...

I would recommend if you have never used one, buy two, use one when you get/camp/etc... Start up a campfire and put it out.... remember, spray the base of the fire....

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The reason I ask is when I was at the store the other day I had seen fire extinguishers on display and they had special (white) coast guard approved extinguishers there in many different sizes. So what size do I get? Is it determined by size of boat or size of fuel tank on board or neither?

4. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My extingusher is a 3 pound white bottle of "Regular Dry Chemical" made by Kiddie. Its the one that came with my boat. I have a 16' Alumacraft with a 50 HP Merc and a 9 gal gas tank (below the deck). Hope this helps.

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Dave,
    The small "disposable" ones discharge VERY fast. I'd recommend getting a re-chargeable one from your local fire extinguisher/safety company. It'll cost more at first but will last longer and be more convenient.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    No the USCG doesn't specify - I'ld recommend going with the common sense rule - we probably don't need the biggest and the smallest probably won't be enough if we ever need it. My $.02.

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you got a smoking carpet, you'll be ok, if you have a gas fire..... it isn't big enought. Bigger is better.:smile2:

8. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use to sell and service Fire Extinguishers and everyone who had me refill there’s always said it was way to small no matter how big it was, and can tell you from experience a fire out on the water you don’t have one big enough!!
    Those 2.5 – 3 LB Kiddie are a joke! I throw them away!
    I would use at least a 5lb A, B, C remember the Chemical in them are very Corrosive and remember that if the wind is blowing the chemical is like talcum powder and blows away very easily so you have to get very close.

Halon exstighusers contain Halon of course and is a inert gas most restraunts now days use Halon for there automatic systems over the cooking area because it is inert and after it goes off and puts out the fire they can go right back to fishing, I mean cooking with out any clean up, with powder chemical everything has to be thrown away and extensive cleaning be done, again it is a light gas you can’t see, smell, or taste it and can just blow away.

When I was doing this I service all the Extinguishers for the Sheriffs and Fish and Game Boats on Coeur,de Alene Lake ID. they all carried 2-5lb,one near the bow and one near the stern, Halon at that time was new and expensive.

I had a 24 ft Ocean Fisher with twin inboards and kept two 5lb Halons, one day just to show some one I opened the Engine Hatch just enough to put the nozzle in and dropped the lid back down and pulled the trigger with in one second the engine died immediately I open the engine compartment and turned the bilge blower on and reach over and the engine cranked over about 3 times and started right back up.

With a Chemical Ext. always smack it real hard on the floor or ground as you go to use it, over time they will pack the chemical in the bottom till it is hard and when you pull the trigger you will only get a couple tablespoons of chemical and the pressure blows out then you jump over board with it and use it for a flotation device LOL.

Every couple months I turn my chemical Ext. up side down and tap them pretty hard with a rubber mallet to make sure they are loose inside, don’t use a metal hammer because it can chip the pain then they will rust out. Every time you go to use your boat check the pressure gauge on your Ext.

Just think over KILL!
    Do a little research on the Web.

Paul

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Excellent Post . This needs to be considered for placement in the library.Lots of needed info. on safety. Thanks

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I second that!!! Thats a great post and a lot of good info in it.REPS sent to you!

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    While we are on the subject can someone explain A B C. I know it has to do with what materials it will extinguish though, what letter does what?

12. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This is a great site and explains better than I can, it has pictures LOL.

Those little cheap Kiddie are just that, they are normally plastic and say they are refillable but most will just leak off again in a few days!
    Great door stop though.
    http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/

13. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The fact about dry chem is extremely important. Learned years ago the first thing is to turn it upside down and tap it on the floor DAMHINT (don't ask me how I know this):0a35: . Chances are you will only have one chance before taking a swim:0a20:

14. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
  15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Paul,

Both excelent sites I think they answered all of my questions.:smile2:
    Thank you.

16. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One VERY important thing that seems to have been overlooked is the extinguisher MUST say Coast Guard approved. Not all of them have that wording on them. To be legal it has to say Coast Guard approved.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For a vessel under 26 feet one B-1 is all that is required.
    Thats the little one.
    I'll probally have a B-1 and a B-2 on the pontoon .
    I get carried away with a grill sometimes:big_smile: