Fire Extinguisher Question

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bootshowl, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    After reading Gorege's post on boating safety, went to check my gear. I've got a 2.5 lb Sentry dry chemical unit and my pressure gauge is Zero.
    Is it cheaper to buy a new one or find a place to charge and certify it? Thanks George...
    :smile2:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check with your local fire dept.They usualy know.I love you brother.peewee

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    They aren't that expensive for the purpose they serve.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Cheaper to buy a new one unless you know someone that can fill it for you. Was responsible for over 800 fire extinguishers the last seven years of my job. Know how to fill them but don't have the equipment. N2 is used for the propellent.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's cheeper and less of a problem to buy a new one. I don't know if you need one but you get new brackets with a new one.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I just buy a new on every year only like 10 bucks keep the old one in my truck you never no when someone may need one.

7. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    You can pick up a 2.5 for between 7-15 bucks and its garanteed

8. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    I would be a new one also it would be cheaper. You could also go to your local fire deparment, they might trade you a new one for the old one. I know the fire department that i serve does this. It all depends on protocals, within the department. You also need to consider, is one fire extinguishers enough for your need to put out any fire. The Multipurpose Dry chemical fire extingusher with a ABC rating. The 2.5 to 30lb size tank shoots a stream range of 5-20 feet. IT Only last between 8-25 seconds, Just consider that one might not be enough. It never hurts to have more than one. :smile2:

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    there is a fire extiguisher co around here that comes to the shop and inspects and rfills our big ones for the shop.the last one we had serviced was only 35$(needed new valve and tested). maybe a place like that in your area. the phone book maybe?

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    where in indiana are you? my uncle actually owns a fire extinguiser service company. they go to all the local fire departments and big time factories and check hoses, fill extinguisers, etc. if you are gonna be around my area anytime soon i can try and get yours filled, i get 2 filled every year and keep in my boat- for free :cool2:

11. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    At work we get our fire extinguishers refilled, but when I asked the company that fills them, they told me the cheap ones that you can get at Wal-Mart and other places can't be refilled because of the plastic necks on them they have a tendancy of cracking and could cause them to burst if they get recharged.