Fire Extinguisher location

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by peewee williams, Feb 10, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For years,I mounted my fire extinguisher at the rear of my boats.This way,it would be right where I would most likely need it,for motor and fuel fires.Good idea,right.WRONG!The odds are,that it will burn up with your boat,because you can not get to it without being burned.I did not figure this out.I learned from others grief.I learned to mount mine in the bow.Think about your location.Your life may depend on it.peewee-williams

2. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good advise thank you

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep good advice. i have mine on the console its right where i can reach it with no issues and far enough from the fuel tanks and engine so i wont get burnt getting it to put out god forbid a fire on my boat. and speaking of which thanks for reminding me i need to replace mine it was down a bit when i looked at it last month think ill take care of that today.

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Very good point. Not only is it a requirment but it could very well save you alot of money and even your life. Personally I keep 2 on board. Those little buggers dont last very long and I dont want the fire 90% out, I want it out for good.
    Oh.... mine are on the side of my console. Can be reached from anywhere in the boat in seconds.

David Frantz

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    good idea, I have always tried to mount mine where I could get at it from where I was operating the boat, in a handy location of course.

6. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    Good advice , I have mine mounted right in front of my console.

7. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    very good tip there. I have two fire extinguishers in my boat also. Another thing to remember is to turn em upside down every so often and whack the bottom of em to to loosen up the powder. It compacts in the bottom and you not be able to get it out when you need it.

Jim Allen

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good tip outlw36,think I'll mount two. One on each side of console, a back up never hurts!

9. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Thanks peewee,never thought of that!:cool:

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have one on my console but I should probably get another one, thanks for the tip, can never have enough extinguisher on board.

11. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Good post, Pee-Wee! I've seen quite a few on the stern of vessels. Another common location is at the bottom of the dry store! Better to keep it out where it is handy.

Good idea, Okcatman, on having 2. I only have 1, with-in easy reach of the driver, on my console, but I think I'm gonna have to get another one now!

12. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Peewee,I never thought about it.Yep, Mine's mounted in the back.I think I'll get a second one for the front.

13. gettin'fatter

gettin'fatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I Keep Mine On The Center Console.

14. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Good tip and worth a rep point in my book.

Thanks PeeWee

Tom

15. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great info Peewee

Thanks, jeffro

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We alway placed ours next to the drivers seat. Figure that is where I be when she goes up. Though if its near the gas tanks and they are nearly empty I may must swim for it.

17. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for the the tip! Mine is mounted in the back of the boat next to the motor.I will move mine before I go to the river tomorrow,you never know what will happen.

18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i had to do 2 term papers in high school . one was on motorcycles. the other was on boating. guess waht they both had in common. every thing i researched on motorcycles said if your bike was on fire ddont walk away from it RUN and every thing i researched on small fishing boats 12 - 24 ft said dont try to ffight an open flaame fire just abandon ship and swim like well you get the picture. to most dangerous fires you can ever have .boats and motorcycles

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's definately some good advice..mine is mounted in front of the console with my emergency whistle around the top..it is out of the way of the pull pin..2 reasons easy access to both and the game warden can see it through his spotting scope a long ways away..keeps from getting checked all the time.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do have a difference of opinion.The USCG and all 50 states do not require that you have a fire extinguisher so that you can endanger your life.If they thought it did,they would prohibit you having it on board.It is against the law to endanger your life or the life of others.It is there to save lives and property.Most lives lost to boating accidents are lost in the water.Some to floating,burning fuel.A very small critical time span is the secret to putting out most fires.It is almost to say"put it out before it starts".That is what the extinguisher is for.When that fails,it is time for RLH(run like hell).I believe you on your research.Any and everything can be and is used for research.The most Truth and lies that I have ever been told or taught was by teachers in our educational system.From heath to history.They all taught what they believe to be the truth.Research the knowledge of 1955 to now.It is awful,how much was a lie.We now believe this caused the death of many.That is why we now teach and do different.I believe the future will find the same with us.I had 40 years of fire fighting, damage control,chemical cleanup and HAZMAT training as it was later called.A lot of that was found to be wrong and changed over the years.The modern fire extinguisher is required for your safety,and should be used when and only when it is the safest thing to do.As for my motorcycle fire.I could not run,slow down or get off,but that is a different story.I wish to thank everyone for the response and opinions.peewee