Fire Extinguisher in Your Boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Spider, May 24, 2009.

Do You Carry A Fire Extinguisher?

  1. Yes

  2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spider

    Spider New Member

    Messages:
    610
    State:
    Hamburg, PA
    OK, Do you or do you not carry a Fire Extinguisher on your boat?
    I was ready our PA Regulations and I would not be "Required" to have on on-board. I want to have one, and do, but now I don't know where to mount it. Behind the rear seat of my small V hull is now taken up by my fuel tank, two small access hatches for my pump and drain plug, and my electrical panel. I considered putting it at the one side of the rear seat on top but not sure you should mount it in a horizontal position. That and it may be in the way up there. If I can find a small one, I could mount it to the front of the rear seat. Can you mount one sideways that it stays functional?
     
  2. BIG GEORGE

    BIG GEORGE New Member

    Messages:
    10,362
    State:
    JOISY
    I'm gonna tell ya rite now. Get checked by the Coast Guard and don't have one on your boat, $$$$$$$$$$ LOL!:crazy:
     

  3. Dirtdobber

    Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

    Messages:
    3,584
    State:
    Vian Okla
    I'm required to have one on our boat ( 21' pontoon). Call your fire dept and they can tell you what position you can mount them in.
     
  4. AwShucks

    AwShucks New Member

    Messages:
    4,532
    State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Its' a no brainer. Mount it away from the engine and fuel tanks. Wouldn't help to have 10 fire extinguishers aboard if you can't get to them when there is a fire. How far away, you may ask, and I'd say about as far away as you can place them and still have them in the boat. AND, don't forget to check the charge often...will not help you if the extinguisher is discharged.
     
  5. kscathunter

    kscathunter New Member

    Messages:
    2,367
    State:
    Louisburg,
    i believe they were mounted horizontaly from the factory in mom and pops camper and boat. so id guess you can mount them sideways:confused2:
     
  6. jerseycat9

    jerseycat9 New Member

    Messages:
    2,544
    State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    DNR Boarded my boat here in Georgia today and the first thing they looked for was the fire extinguisher. Im just glad they didnt look to see if it was charged or not LOL That sum##### is emptayyyyyy LOL Probably aint been full since not long after it rolled off the showroom floor in 82' LOL
     
  7. DANZIG

    DANZIG New Member

    Messages:
    6,672
    State:
    West Virginia
    On a boat of any size,15ft and up, two. One 2lb, one larger.)

    Having been a LRCH from abandoning ship when a 2 lb did not get it, I like having two.

    If there had not been a boating Samaritan near by, or had the throw gone wild, things would have gone badly real quick.

    Going out without at least one (that works), is begging for it.
     
  8. jerseycat9

    jerseycat9 New Member

    Messages:
    2,544
    State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah it will be replaced ASAP on my boat all they did was look to see if it was there and then went out there business of checking my fishing license and such. After they took off I took a good look at it and it is flat pegged in the red :( But had they not brought it to my attention I dont think I would have ever known unless tragedy struck.
     
  9. recordbreakin1

    recordbreakin1 New Member

    Messages:
    746
    State:
    texas
    YOU CAN MOUNT THEM SIDE WAYS.KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR MOTOR SO YOU CAN GET TO IT IF THERE IS A FIRE.I WAS A SAFETY MAN FOR A LONG TIME AND ALWAYS IS A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY ONE AND A FIRST AID GET COULD COME IN HANDY TOO.YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU MAY RUN INTO IF IT DOES NOT SAVE YOUR LIFE IT COULD SAVE SOME ONE ELSE.BE SAFE OUT THERE GUYS.
     
  10. DANZIG

    DANZIG New Member

    Messages:
    6,672
    State:
    West Virginia
    "But had they not brought it to my attention I dont think I would have ever known unless tragedy struck."

    Good lesson there. Pre flight your boat much as a pilot does his aircraft. And for the same reason.

    As "Captain" you are not only responsible for your own safety, but that of your "crew" as well.
     
  11. blackwaterkatz

    blackwaterkatz Active Member

    Messages:
    3,659
    State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have a center console, and I fish in salt water quite often, so I mounted in just inside the console (which is legal) where I can reach in and grab it without even looking. A red sign above the console notes the location, for passenger info. I also carry one in my truck.
    One note, though: recently someone's vehicle caught fire while passing by my house and when I went to get the extinguisher it wouldn't work, even though it showed a full charge. One of the firemen that showed up mentioned that they should be removed and shaken up occasionally. The vehicle was already too far gone for the extinguisher to help, but the problem opened my eyes. I went and bought fresh ones for the boat and my kitchen.
     
  12. CountryHart

    CountryHart New Member

    Messages:
    10,914
    State:
    missouri
    I have to get a new one actually. Had to use mine last week while workin on the boat in the yard.:eek:oooh:
     
  13. bluejay

    bluejay Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    8,502
    State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    At least every 6 months the fire ext. should be removed and turned upside down from the way it was stored and tapped with a rubber hammer. This is to loosen the powder that has settled and packed. Worked with fire ext's several years and saw the ones that would just blow the nitrogen out and very little powder.
     
  14. Pip

    Pip New Member

    Messages:
    1,670
    State:
    pa
    for the cost, having one onboard only makes sense..... AND checking it periodically to make sure it is charged. Stratigically placing it is also important. You don't want it mounted right where the fire is, but to where you can get to it quickly even if it means moving something else you have mounted in a spot. you might be out on the boat 500 times, but there may be that one time when you need it in the most important time.
     
  15. Kutter

    Kutter New Member

    Messages:
    5,379
    State:
    Arnold, MO
    Someone would be welcome to correct me, should I be mistaken, but it is my belief that while most states have some regulations of their own, ALL require following Coast Guard Regulations on boating on any navigable waters.
     
  16. Mike81

    Mike81 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,229
    State:
    Alabama
    It's crazy not to have one on board, mount it in a place away from the most potential fire areas. Even if not mounted, have one. 99% chance you'll never need it but it's one of those things thats worth having 1% of the time.
     
  17. Spider

    Spider New Member

    Messages:
    610
    State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I had one but since rebuilding the boat it was too tall to fit anyplace. I went and bought a new one today the is shorter but larger in diameter. That one mounted nicely to the front of the bench seat.
    I wouldn't go without one! Had a friend that had to bail out along with his wife and swim to shore while his aluminum bass boat burned. The engine backfired and started burning and he couldn't get it out, even with a fire extinguisher. I have no idea what shape the extinguisher was in but the end result was not good. Another boat came to the rescue and put it out then picked them up and towed him in. At least nobody was hurt.
     
  18. roadkill636

    roadkill636 New Member

    Messages:
    551
    State:
    warrenton misso
    I am that 1%
    I am a first hand victom of a fire,,, I lost a drag racing 4 wheeler due to a fuel leak during test & tune,, I ran for the extingwisher and POOF!!! only a hand full of powder came out?? I lost the entire bike because of an impropper extingwisher,, I carry 2 in my boat, 1 mounted under the consol by my knee, and the other loose in the front of the boat in plain sight

    before that fire I never really gave much thought to having one except to keep from getting a water patrol ticket

    I also have 4 in my house,,one next to the fireplace,one next to the main door, one on top of the refridgearator, and one mounted on the wall in the laundry room......and one in the back of my pick up truck
     
  19. Kutter

    Kutter New Member

    Messages:
    5,379
    State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ya got me thinkin about how many I have.
    One in each of 5 vehicles
    One in the boat
    One in both garages
    One in the kitchen
    One in basement
    One in wine cellar/storm shelter
    One in bedroom

    Also just noticed I only have two working smoke detectors. Headin to Walmart in a bit to remedy that oversight. Thanks for getting me to thinking about it.
     
  20. CountryHart

    CountryHart New Member

    Messages:
    10,914
    State:
    missouri
    I put plugs in my boat Friday. Put the muffs on her and let it run a while and wasn't satisfied. Drained carbs and rinsed with Berryman carb cleaner. Screwed plugs back in carbs, prime her up and hit the key. First time she hit she cranked and blew into flames.:crazy::crazy::crazy: Had it not been for an extinguisher, it would have burnt down. Fortunately i got by with a few fuel lines(needed replaced anyway) and kits in the carbs after i shot them full of fire juice. I was lucky to be so un-lucky.