Fire ants!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, Sep 29, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Okay brothers and sisters,I need a litle help. Monday I got into fire ants.I thought I got them off me befor they could get me, but this morning I woke up with about 7 bites on my legs. This evening I have many bites on legs hands and feet.water blisters all over my body.anyone have a clue what to do?should I pop them ? what should I put on them? they are driving me nuts.
    smokey

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    1Immediately following the fire ant sting, apply some after-bite medication. After-bite medicine is available over-the-counter at the drug store and it will help treat the intense itching and pain that's associated with fire ant bites.

Step 2After about ten minutes (once the after-bite has had an opportunity to work) wash the site of the fire ant sting with antibacterial soap like Dial. Scrub the site for two full minutes before rinsing with water. Washing for the full two minutes will dramatically lessen the chance of infection.

Step 3Apply betadine, an antiseptic solution. If betadine is not available, isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide will suffice, but betadine is by far the most effective in preventing and treating fire ant bites and the infection that's often associated with these insect stings. Allow the betadine to air dry. Do not blow on the betadine to hasten drying; this will only contaminate the site of the ant bite with bacteria.

Step 4If the fire ant sting itches intensely, apply a thin coat of hydrocortisone cream.

Step 5Apply antibiotic ointment to the fire ant bite and then cover with a Band-Aid.

Step 6Repeat steps 1 through 5 three times per day until the fire ant sting has healed. It will typically take about one week for the ant bite to heal, though healing may take longer if the fire ant sting site becomes infected.
    Tips & Warnings
    Do not pick at, squeeze or attempt to "pop" the pustule that forms at the site of the fire ant sting. This will only drive the infection deeper into the skin, worsening the infection.Over time, the fire ant bite should be improving in appearance. If the swelling, redness and pain worsens, or if the site of the bite begins oozing a discharge, this indicates an infection and medical attention will be required.Some people will suffer an allergic reaction to a fire ant bite. Fire ant sting allergic reactions can lead to a potentially deadly case of anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis from an insect bite is associated with shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, sweating and suddenly pale skin color, call 911 and seek immediate medical attention.Diabetics must be especially

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Joe,I cant help with the sting,But you should get a product called AMDRO. Its specifically formulated for fire ant control. It works great on all kinds of ants. The big black and red kind we have here ,one dose and WITHIN 4 hrs ,theres dead ants all around the mound.,do a google search if you cant get it in your area.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I feel your pain, we have them bad down here also.

I treat the property with Ortho, but will check into the AMDRO.

I hate them dang wasp also :embarassed:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    That sucks. :crazy: I would take benedryl. Try calamine lotion, this will help dry them. Dont take too hot of a shower this may aggrevate the sights. Good luck....hope this helps.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Smokey I did not know fire ants had made it north to any part of
    Tennessee. We have had them in Alabama all my life. I have always
    heard that they came to the gulf coast on banana boats from South
    America in the 1930s. I look at them as part of the pestalance God
    promised. I have known them to kill calfs and kid goats if the mother
    happened to give birth close to a bed.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You need to go to a bait poison rather then a contact poison, especially this time of year.
    Hit them hard in the fall of the year. It's the killing time.

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Gee, if I had to do that for all of my ant bites I wouldn't have time for anything else. Usually I just cool them down with water and that takes most of the sting away right after it happens. After that they're usually not bad. I usually get bit a lot during the summer, especially when I go fishing at the pond.

We've been using over 'n out recently. The first time we used it, it lasted more than 2 years, and by the then of the third they started coming back. Now the second treatment is starting to wear off, but I can't remember if this is the second or third year. The first time we used it was at my grandfather's house. A little while after we dispersed the over 'n out, we started noticing all these large brown spots in the yard, and it was the piles of dead ants that were being carried out of the underground nests.

9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This morning I wokeup went t put my slippers on and they were tight on my feet.My feet have swelled up bad. Right now Iam soaking them ice water.then taking a few benadril and plan how Iam going to war with these buggers.Going to the co-op and getting the baddest poison I can find.
    smokey

10. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    We don't have fire ants around here, but we do have the red harvester ants that can give a pretty good sting to you. The amdro is the only one that kills the queen because they think it is food and carry it down into mound and eventually queeny gets a bite for breakfast and goodbye mound. They are usually gone that day. Don't sprinkle it right on the mound. Sprinkle about 3 or 4 feet from the hole in a complete circle around the mound so they think they are finding food away from the colony. I like to hang around and watch to make sure they they are carrying it back to the hole and make sure they are in food gathering mode not hole building mode. I can absolutely recommend the amdro because I have wiped out many mounds and they don't come back. I have a half of container that I have no mounds to use it on. It's a little pricey, but worth it. Wally world or Ace hardware carry it for sure. Good luck and you got me a little worried with the swelling thing. Now go kick their asses and send them back to the fire.......

11. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Joe, i would go to the doctor if i were you bud. Sounds bad. Just call first to see what they say then go in if neccessary.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think fireants have nailed me so many times I'm tolerant.:smile2:
    Wait until you get them in the house. That is real pleasant.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya. It seems I get in 'em EVERY day! I got in 'em bad yesterday. Covered my arms! I've been bitten so many times I don't pay too much attention to them anymore. I hate those rascals!

BB in SC

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never dealt with fire ants. It looks like you have recieved some good info on killing them. I would add, if your feet is swelling and you have other problems, I would seek medical help.