Fire and Violence

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JAinSC, Mar 9, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    An ex-coworker used to say that when a repair job didn't go easy, then it was time to resort to fire and violence.

I pulled the hubs off the boat trailer again this weekend, and with the help of a little propane torch, the old races (which I left in last week) came out fairly easily. Heating the hubs really made a big difference.

It was actually harder to get the new races back in than it was removing the old ones, especially since I didn't want to damage the new ones. Then I found the perfect tool! I went to my workbench to look for something that I could use to pound the new races down into the hubs, and I spotted my old 1 7/8 trailer hitch ball. It was perfect! (for my 1 1/16 bearing races - you would need a different size hitch for a diff size bearing, I guess). The round hitch ball fit perfectly inside the race, and I could then tap (bang) on the bolt end to seat the races.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nicely donre ...there is a couple good pionters here reps to ya on that!

3. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Only problem is you really dont want to use a hard metal AKA steel punch, trailer ball or socket to drive in a bearing race due to them being a extremly hard steel and easily cracked or pitted. If you are going to drive them in use a brass or aluminum punch. Better yet try this next time, place the race in the freezer for an hour or two and then slightly heat the hub with tourch or in an oven, the races will litteraly fall into place with a minimal amount of driving them in to seat em. Used this method to set many a bearing and race set in industrial applications.
    Another little tip to help remove a stubborn race, if you have an arc welder run a bead around the inside of the race it will fall right out.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I heated the hubs and put the races in the freezer and they were still real tight.

I figured the trailer hitch ball was a good way to go, because it was making contact all the way around the race, not just in a small spot or two, so the force was spread out. Plus, since it was being pushed all around, it went in straight, not one side then the other sort of walking down.