Finney/Ramer Lake in the IV

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mangles, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Just wondering if anyone has had a luck fishing for flats at finney/ramer? Is there any spots that would be better than others on those lakes, floats or still rig, what kind of bait ect

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Mangles... Just wondering the same as I was just cleaning up the breakfast dishes...:wink:

I was just going to ask if anyone knew about the Wiest Co. park lake and its ..."being safe" at night.... I was there ... driving by on Sunday, and went into the "dirt' to look at finney as well.....

By the way... was that you in a white van fishing on Rutherford on the south side of the street on Sunday morning?... I stopped to talk to a "guy" and asked if he was in the BOC, and how was the fishing...

Also... read that there was a Murder there back in Mar.

So.... anyone have infor on the Fishing as asked, and camping on the lakes.... ?:confused2:

:0a23: Bayrunner Ray

3. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    I was down there, but on saturday night fishing the alamo across the street from wiest lake, was in a white chevy xcab with camper shell. Murder? Wow thats why I keep my gun loaded while fishing at night. From what I heard finney/ramer is shallow about 6to8feet all the way across, but cant be sure unless you have a fish finder, which i do not have. Wouldnt fish at night by myself unless you have a gun to protect. As far as camping I camp at Red Hill Marina and it is safe there, i usally fish at night and sleep during the day, so red hill is a nice choice. So how was the fishing for the guy you stopped and talked to? how was the fishing for you? Me and Brian akaDCR fished friday thru sunday with 13 or so flats to 10lbs and I also caught a channel at 3-10 all from the alamo fishing bluegill and talapia.

4. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    i tried f&r unit a couple of months ago, without success. pretty standard across the lake. people do fish it though. mangles you guys try the bridge at red hill?

5. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    I didn't this time, but have caught some flats off of that bridge. One of my friends at the camp, JJ, caught a fourty pounder off of the bridge this season.

6. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i wpoul dlike to know about the murder

7. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    This is what I found, not sure if it is the same incidince, but this is what i found.
    Members of the Imperial County Sheriffs Boating Enforcement Team recovered the body of a Brawley man missing since the weekend.
    The body of 46-year old Juan Ramon Mungia was found in Wiest Lake this morning. Mungia had been missing since Friday. On Saturday , items belonging to Mungia were found at the park. Imperial County officials ordered Wiest Lake Park closed to facilitate the search for the man. The county park remained closed through the weekend. According to Imperial County Deputy Coroner Garcia , there were no signs of foul play on the body but the investigation is on-going as to the cause of death. An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.

8. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    growing up a white kid in LA, i have always felt that (when in the IV) if someone runs into me looking for trouble, they are probably picking the wrong guy . . . lol. that being said, i fish canals in the IV alone all the time and have never run into a bad person. but i will add i always keep an extra long buck knife on my side. would bring along a gun, but considering that while fishing i am usually throwing back a few cold ones, i don't bring the pistola ;)

i am very sorry to hear about the individual that died at weist lake, but sadly sometimes those things happen. look at it this way (assuming that he died of natural causes), at least he went out doing something he loves. afterall . . . you gotta love fishing if you are willing to do it in the heat of summer in the IV.

so where is this red hill marina?

9. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    It is up by where the alamo dumps into the sea. Here is a link, not sure how good the link is, but if you have any questions about the marina let me know. Its bacically a campground that has hookups, not sewer though, fish cleaning station, and is all around safe and cozy
    http://www.dbw.ca.gov/maps/facilityinfo.asp?facilityID=322

10. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    ok first things first. The "murder " wasnt murder more like guy was just tired of living so took fools way out.

Now serious stuff Finney Ramer never caught flathead in there but lots of channels and tons of bluegill for bait, bass fishing is fair to good and ohh yeah also lots of really nice sized crappie in there. good for bluegills by boat launch ramp. Now if you do fish it no gas motors allowed on boat, electric or manual powered only.

Wiest lake mostly in summer skiers n aholes on jet skies. But winter it gets regular plantings of trout good place to take kids fishing. Bluegills abuntant at picnic tables on north west point.

FYI since "homeland security" aka Border Patrol has stepped up watch on border I dont see as much "activity" on southern canal banks as I used to. I fish alone at night a bunch and have never had a problem, remember sanheros patrol the ditch banks about every 2 hours to keep tabs on water delivery and most willl stop to caht and see how fishing is going. i have also been checked fishing the East Highline by Local warden Brauna several times lately, he is cool and will take time to actually have a freindly chat with you and pssibly give you clues on where and what they are biting on at the time.

11. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    interesting

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California