Finished my Rod Rack

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DH84, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Well i finally built me a river rack for striper and cats, i used 1/4" angle aluminum for the rack and 1/8" for the legs with one support on each side, everything is bolted (if i had a tig welder and some know how i would have much rather welded it) but i believe the bolts will hold just find. It seems pretty solid and since i keep about 50% drag when im bottom fishing it shouldnt be a problem.
    Ive got about $40 in the aluminum and $10 in the stainless hardware, i had 3 driftmasters and had to buy 3 more for about $45 so ive got a little under $100 in it. I guess not bad compared to what it costs for some of the pre-fab models i see for sale today well over $250.

Ready to try it out on the striper here soon since big cat season is winding down..

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well done, and inexpensively too!

Bill in SC

3. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thats nice rob I like that.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Shoot, that looks like a good setup. Well done.

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nicely done. Easy to keep your eye on the rods with a set-up like that.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob thanks for sharing the pics of your rod rack. Nice job. Wish I had one like that. Well built and strong looking.

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    nice job rob.
    I have been thinking about making one to hold my tourney catchwell combined with trolling bar also. YOu guys are inspiring me to get busy.

8. starcraft72

starcraft72 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks strong and light. I wonder how it would work with 360ht rod holders? Great job!!

9. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    Looking good. nice strong,light wieght. WAY COOL!!

10. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
  11. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job on the rod holders. Looks like they will work just fine. I'd have to agree $250 is way too much to spend on a rod system.

12. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Rob,thats a nice looking setup there.You saved a lot of money PLUS you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself!

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    That rod rack turned out really good!:smile2:

14. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great job on the rack Rob. I'm all for the hands on approach to doing things. Less costly and more satisfaction out of the end product.

15. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Great Job. Have 1 on my jon boat similar but made out of galv. angle. Working on 1 out of alumn. pipe.

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That looks real good man. It looks like you built as good as can be without welding it. I have no doubt it'll handle many years of fishing for, whatever you mind be after. Nice job!

17. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    I appreciate all the compliments, im ready to try it out and the weekends looking like 80 degrees or better both days!

Yea i like doing as much as i can myself, especially with the boat cause if something goes wrong ive usually got an idea of how to fix it. But theres been some projects i should have left to the pros.. ive got a baittank in the yard that i ended up putting about the same money in as a creek bank and it doesnt work nearly as good as a professional one would.. oh well.. live and learn!

18. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Nice job on the drifting rack! Always better when you can do it yourself.