Finish for Poplar?

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Patmansc, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Guys: what kind(s) of finish do you recommend for poplar? I have some that's green/white, and have no idea what kind of stain or finish to use to make it look nice. It's a most unremarkable wood, but I have some that I going to make some lacrosse stick holders and I would like them to look good. Thanks for your help.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you have some scraps try Light Oak stain or if you want it dark try walnut. I used Poplar on a small table and I used the Light Oak stain. If I use Poplar again I think I will just use a clear poly sealer and let what grain there is show.

3. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Jim; Get some good quality wipe on stain in Cherry and do a trial piece to see how it will look for you. Cherry is a deep red and where the sap wood is it is quite light. Poplar takes stain well and looks very nice stained with Cherry.
    Wipe your stain on and let it set for awhile then rub it off and put some finish on it to see how you like it. The longer it sets the more dark the stain will be. I hope this helps. Any good finish shop can help you with any questions you would have. whiteriver

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Use what color suits your taste. Then use a heavy coat of sanding sealer let dry sand lightly then spray a coat of lacquer let dry then see how it looks. You can sand again and apply another coat of lacquer if you want or put on a coat of polyurethane. Don't try putting lacquer over poly it will wrinkle all to hell and you'll have to start over. Lacquer dries fast so it works well as base coats, poly dries slow and it's a pain in the padded @$$ waiting for it to dry so you can recoat and since it stays sticky for a long time it will attract dust and dirt. As far as stains go alcohol based stains AKA Non Grain Raising Stains don't have to dry overnight before you can apply finish. Other cheap stains such as minwax have linseed oil and will make your finish turn white if the stain isn't allowed to dry long enough. If you want your finish to look deeper and richer lightly brush some on after you sand between coats then let dry for an hour before you recoat, wipe evenly leaving a very light coat. Deft has some pretty good spray finishes in spray cans but you'd be better off using a compressor and gun. Old English is a good brand of stain if you can find it where you live.