Fingerling Bullheads on Lake Greenwood

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deepwater1, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Has anyone tried live fingerling bullheads, for bait, on Lake Greenwood. :confused2: I have a small lake a couple miles from me that is loaded with 4 to 5 inch bullheads. They stay alive forever in a cooler.:big_smile:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    They are great flathead bait. I use they on a float around structure, they seem to go to flathead if they are around.

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    That's what I thought Dirtdobber. I was wondering about the Channel Cats. I haven't heard if they like them or not. :confused2: Perhaps someone knows for sure.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Never caught a channel on them, but have caught blues a few times. I would think that if a big channel came along he would take it.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I hear they are good for the flatheads too. I was given one a few weeks ago but I don't have the heart to put a hook in him, LOL. Besides he has a name now.." rocky ". I cant hurt poor rocky...he's my buddy ; )

-Jim-

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    You can't hurt poor Rocky. I think bullheads are the toughest fish around. I've seen bullhead put on a trotline for over a week and there body almost cut in two... there still are as lively as when first put on a hook.

Bullhead are my favorite all time number one bait for flatheads but have caught lots of blues and nice channels with them as well.

7. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Thanks catfishcentral that's what I wanted to hear. I caught about 40 of them today, to take to Greenwood on Wednesday, but the other half CONVINCED me that my "Honey DO" list came first. So I put them in my 55 gal aquarium/bait tank. Guess Greenwood will have to wait a few days.

You're right about how tough bullheads are, really hard to kill.

Curt