finesse catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishbrett, Jun 9, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Finesse fishing is a major tool to have in your catfishing arsenal.Alot of times when i'm out fishing i see people with 10ft heavy action catfish poles and 80lb mono with a 4oz sinker fishing with nightcrawlers and liver fishing in a slow moving creek or lake! i'm not saying that you can't catch fish this way,however there may be other ways to enhance your fishing fun.I have been a finesse catfisherman now for a few years and i feel that it's more productive! I encourage you to try these few tips!

1. While fishing for channels trade in your heavy action Flathead rod for your bass rod! the fight will be much more intense!

2.Switch that line! Most catfishermen dont worry about line! however trade that 50lb for a 6lb or 8lb while fishing for channels and for flatheads 15,17,20lb. While fighting a monster the thrill of landing that 35lb hog on your 17lb line is simply amazing. YOU HAVE A DRAG USE IT!!!

3.Sinkers. I fish with a guy that only buys one type of sinker 3oz no roll! doesn't matter if we are fishing for gaint flatheads or table channels,fishing the river or a strip pond! try use the smallest amount of weight that keeps you on the bottom. Live bait fishermen may need a bit more weight to keep his bluegill on the bottom than a man useing liver or crawlers

Finesse fishing isn't just a bass fishing technique! its simple rules of useing the smallest of what you can get by with can help you catch more fish on finicky days! Every situation is different,Sharp rocky or timber bottoms may require a stronger more abrasion resistant line,big live baits such as carp may need a sinker alittle more heavy to keep it on the bottom. goodluck and keep trying new tactics to produce more fish -CatfishBrett

2. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got sick and tired of getting my light gear mangled so now I only fish HEAVY tackle. Be prepared.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Brett alot of people use the heavier line so they do not stress the fish out too much while trying to fight it in. Im not saying your wrong in fact it sounds like a blast.

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Brett. Like you; I also enjoy finesse fishing. I have caught many big fish on light line. Pike on 8lb, 1 musky on my ultra light 6lb, Tons of channel cats on 8lb. Spent a night on my boat anchored in 28 feet of water over a a pile of timber. Was worn out before morning. Bait would just reach bottom and wham. A few were over 28 inches. So my hat goes off to you brother. Glad someone else likes a challenge like me.:cool2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the valuable post. I am not much of a finesse man myself and perhaps I will give it a try

6. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Thanks for all the post and opinions guys.I think i'm going to get some criticism for fishing for flatheads with lighter line,but I'm looking forward to seeing how many people use lighter lines while fishing for flatheads 15-25lb test.I catfish the Ohio River and my tactics are focused on that body of water and the Creeks that feed it..Catfishing is what keeps my heart pumping and i have spent every free moment i get of the last 10 years on the river or shorline!

i have never had any of my gear "mangled" by useing lighter line or catching bigger fish on them.catfish safari,Cabelas king kat,Shakespeare ugly catfish stick and bass pro catmaxx are great rods and have never let me down over the years fishing,Abu garica reels work wonders and i have never had problems with any of them.i have many combo's for catfishing i have certain setups for channels and different setups for flatheads

Thanks Gary for pointing out that some fishermen use stronger line to prevent the fish from getting stressed out.that is a point i didn't think of! Myself i fish for catfish because of the great fight they put on,if i can just yank it to shore in two jerks it's not fun for me.i enjoy the sound of my drag running off the spool 100mph. i fish alot of river tournys in my area where people catch the catfish throw a 3/8in stinger in the bottom lip and throw them over the boat till its time to drive to weight in,where they get weighed and swim off about as lively as can be.It's my opinion that catfish handle stress like Peyton manning handle's 3rd down

i fish many snaggy area's and i said above that some situations call for a more abrasion resistant line that packs alittle more power.for me that is 17lb berkly big game for others that could be 40lb. thanks and i hope to hear from others on this matter.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 20-lb test for flatheads, and have caught fish up to 50-lbs on it.

If you are not in an area where you have to horse the fish in, 20-lb test will handle a very big fish

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Brett luckily for the fish I dont stress them at all:smile2:

9. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya beat me to it, Gary... 'cept not only do I not stress them, I'm pretty sure I provide them hours of entertainment!

*sigh*

10. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use heavy equipment. When I reel in a five pounder it skips along the water like a flat rock. I have thought about getting a nice spinning combo for just the reason you mentioned.

11. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try to get anything more than 20lbs to break easily out of a kayak. I guess I'm a finesse guy by nature, not by choice!:cool2:

When fishing the Ohio I will only use 14-17lb for all cat applications. Flatties are bruisers and will continue to dig down, but I find that you can put plenty of pressure on them to get them up. I think the biggest reasons people like to have such heavy tackle are 1) The ability to keep the fish out of snags and 2) To avoid that last surge where you see the fish of a lifetime pop that line when it hits the surface and you can't drop the rod tip fast enough to let the drag do its thing!

It does make for fun fishing, but I've often thought to myself in times of heavier current, "If a 15lb fish feels like a 30, is a 30 going to feel like a 60, and is a 60 going to feel like a 120?" If that's the case, I would probably get spooled:embarassed::crazy:

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I fish a lot of tournaments. I just can't take the chance fishig anything less than 20# line.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good post Brett. I use all types of line and rigs depending on the weather, whether I feel like using it that day. lol I finessed a 9 lb. channel on my four # micro lite set up one night, sure was fun,but I wouldn't make a habit of it lol. Over many years of fishing I have changes styles many times. Some thing that you can have a lot of fun with is retro fishing. Some times we get our antiques out, lol talk about finesse fishing, always bust a knuckle or two! :smile2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good Post Brett. I have thrown the thought around about using light tackle to pursue big fish, but where i mostly fish on the muskingum, that would be a disaster! Tons of timber, rock, and odd things such as concrete and even some unknown debris that seems to cut even the heaviest line like scissors! If I was to fish more open water, I would like to entertain the idea more. I do however down size late in the year when water temps. cool and they start their pre-winter movements. But, the advantage there is the cold water temp.s make them much more lathargic, and less capable of running me far off into these snaggy areas. Maybe I will give the old bass pole a chance one night with 12lb. mono and a gill, and see what happens:wink:... great subject, thanks for the thread...rollo

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    it is fun,but i never went that light on tackle,did not want to stress the fish more than need be.i like using 20 pound line just cause it casts better than 30.
    i use my nine footers rather than my 12's just cause they are easier to get around and use,but will not go any lower.

16. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Great post Brett .... Since moving back from Florida haven't had much opportunity to catch many fish .... Damnit! But while in living and fishing in Florida 95% of all of my fishing for BIG channels was done with a 5 to 7 foot bass rod, small Shimano 100 and 200 Bantam reels, filled with 17 to 20 test line. I have caught many channels over 20# and the largest about 35# on these outfits. I also used a number 1 hook (not even a 1/0) and one ounce of lead when fishing the rivers with a pretty good flow.

Like you, I enjoy the fight and letting the drag and the rod do most of the work. 90% of the time in Florida the rod and reel oufit I used that did have heavier line, rod and reel, didn't produce at all ... Also, using the small hook it gave me the opportunity to catch the 1 to 2 pounders for the table without missing many of them like you do with 5/0 to 8/0 hooks.

Garry- :wink:

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great post Brett. Very Informative post!:cool2::big_smile:
    A few fishing trips ago I was using light gear, 8# test I was more bait fishing than anything, fairly small hook and Nightcrawler. It appeared to be an 8-12# channel(it broke water and I got a good look at it for a brief second when I started to try to bring him in) and he snapped the line before I could get the drag set properly. I twisted the drag too tight just a hair and that was all it took. It can be a lot of fun, I was just expecting a Big Bluegill.:confused2::wink::smile2:

18. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    You absolutely correct. The only time I utilize weight is when holding the live bait down, or when fishing from shore I used just enough weight to get me to either a channel or particular hole. My catch and bite ratio greatly increases when finnesse fishing. You can't beat a natural presentation. You can toss a chunk of cutbait a mile using 6 to 8lb test. Plus no resistance to the fish attempting to eat your bait. If using weight the carolina rig is the way to go.

19. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Try the 12lb Berkely Big Game in green, I have not lost any fish on this and can cast it well with chunk bait with no weight. But that all depends on the stucture I plan on fishin too.

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I BELIEVE YOU ARE MORE OF A FISHERMAN WHEN YOU CAN LAND A 35 LB FLATHEAD ON 15 LB LINE THEN WHEN YOU ARE CATCHING A 35 LB FLATHEAD ON 80 LB LINE.....

I TO PLAY OUT ALL MY FISH MORE THAN HOGGING THEM IN....

A 5 LB CHANNEL ON 6LB LINE IS GREAT.... HECK!!!!! A 2 LB CHANNEL IS GREAT ON 6LB LINE.... NOW A 30" LB FLATHEAD ON 20 LB LINE IS PRETTY NEAT TOO BUT ITS NOTHING LIKE FISHING WITH 15 LB LINE....

I JUST WENT THROUGH THE BRAID FAISE BUT AFTER LAST NIGHT ( HAVING A 2 LB CHANNEL RUIN 20 FT OF 35 LB LINE IM COMPLETLY DONE WITH BRAID....)