Fine night on the Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Rizzo, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Fished the Grand last night, did pretty good. No trophies by any means
    but lots of fun. Fished just below MLK Blvd. in Lansing. South side of
    river has 10ft. of depth, and lots of scrappy channels! They were biting
    anything, including my thumb :embarassed:. Need a few more posts, and i'll have
    photos. O, yea, fished from 8 till 11.

2. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I don't always need big fish to have a good time. Congrats on your catch.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That's it, I fish to try to relax. And as long as there is some type of
    action I call it well worth my time. That night the "biggen went 20"
    but kinda skinny. Ended up boating 6 "eater class" cats:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
    And that first guy bit my leaf worm on a little aberdeen I had
    tossed out on my ultralight bait fissin' rod! Talk about a good time.
    I'm hittin the Grand in Grand Rapids tonight, then a lake north
    Nawaygo on Sat. I'll let you brothers know what happens:wink:

4. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hello again, did not do much over the weekend. however I hit the same
    spot on the Grand last evening and did very well, crawlers, softshell craws,
    and gills all got bit.

5. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Is the water level up? I'm guessing yes with all the rain we had these last few days....

6. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The water is up, but not what were looking for, I'd say it's up 4"
    from a week and a half ago. A few more good rainy days and we won't
    have to worry about bang'n up our props!:smile2:

7. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Here in Grand Rapids the Grand is up. it appears to be quite a bit more than just 4 inches. Tony can see the river gauge from his office window, whats the verdict Tony?

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    It was up more than a foot since the 19th, then it dropped off a few inches. My guess is that it will spike up again once last night's storm "trickles down". At least now you can run your motor again, if you know the area you are in.

9. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    This is great news. It was getting to the point that we coulden't get the
    boat off the trailer anymore there on vets mem. dr. Here in lansing I think
    the dams control the water alot more. Might get to fish GR tonight.
    Heres some pics. I promised. Getting the one fish to smile was the
    diffacult part:big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well it's been over 2 weeks since i've been on the Grand, somehow I can imagine it will be the polar opposite of what it was like when we were out last time. It was so very low I could'nt even get to my usual spots with my jet. Has anyone been out since all this rain has been comin down yet? I am going out this Sunday eve/night to try my luck. I doubt I'll have trouble with low water now! I just hope my anchor will do the trick in the undoubtedly swift currents I will experience. I hope the water is fishable, I'll report back after the trip and let you know how it was. I plan to drop in in either Lowell, Ionia, Saranac, or W. River Drive. Does anyone have a favorite bend at the W.River launch they could share? I've never taken my boat out of there yet, just fished from shore before I had my boat, and only taken a couple little channels.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Guy-
    It will take more than a few inches of rain to turn the Grand from a wet creekbed into a roaring river again.
    Even though its up a foot, its still TEN FEET below what it was during the spring runoff.
    Don't worry, be happy, go fishing.

12. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    WOW Tony I obviously have a lot to learn about the Grand! I cannot imagine it 10 ft higher!!! That would be insane! Well I hope to get a dozen or two big gills and I am heading out on Sunday night! It looks like its gunna get a bit nipply out there though around the high 40's for lows. I bet the fog will be bad again. I'll report back with how the outing goes and what i found.

13. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well wqe went out fri. night. Did not do well, not for lack of trying though.
    Only caught one channel,a tincy one at that:smile2:. We fished up from johnson park, up to the old tressel. The water was up, at the level it was back in
    Apr./May. We tried a new thing, last time we had a lot of gills we froze some,
    we also tossed out some softie craws, spawn. I'm sticken to fresh gills :wink:.
    How did you do Guy?

14. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    I went out yesterday afternoon for couple of hours on the Grand, didn't really fish much kinda just sat back and relaxed. I was amazed at the current water level, it hasn't been this high since before I bought my boat (before June). It was a little scary going over the spots that I know there were massive logs when the water was low and now I couldn't see them. I didn't get a single bite. I did get my share of cats on Friday night on Lake Macatawa (about 18lbs worth of channels, one was a 7.5lber).

15. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What a joke, i didn't catch enough bait to make the trip out on Sunday !!! I'll take that as a bad omen, couldnt even catch enough bullheads/gills in time to go that night. Oh well, I have another trip planned on the 3rd of Sept. I'm sorry I dont have better news to report....if anyone is upset its me! Good luck everyone!

16. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Looks like the river was not the hot ticket! Thanks for the info dudes!
    Will try to fish lansing tomm. night, Then i've got some homeowner work to do:angry: over the holiday. Best of luck to all!

17. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well we were out from around 11:30pm to around 6:30am, and once again I think that was the problem...I was working till around 4pm, had to run home and take care of kids, labor day planning, etc, etc, and we had to wait till after the fireworks here in Belding before we could even head to the river. It was a beautiful night on Sunday, even though it took nearly an hour getting out of town with all the traffic here in the big city. We brought bluegills we caught earlier in the day and from the day before. 4"-7" was the size range. We dropped in in Lowell at the fairgounds and took our time in the dark heading upstream, it was nice with some water this time in the river! The reason I think the time we left was a problem was because I have never been on this stretch of river and we were looking for good habitat for flatheads in complete darkness, trying to spare how much we used the spotlight. We came upon a really big logjam/tree structure on the outside bend of the river just upstream of the RR bridge. We put out 4 rods, and started waiting. And waiting, and nothing after about 2 hours. We decided to move more upstream and see what we could see. We found what looked like what would be a great spot to catch some channels on a really sharp bend with a pretty big inlet of slow water. We fished here for about 2 hours around what little cover there was there, and nothing yet again. We continued upstream around 2:30-03:00, looking for some good cover, and didnt find anything worth speaking about. So we went back downstream to find some cover and finished out the night with a couple hours of once again nothing. It's strange how it seems to get coldest about 1-2 hours before the sun rises. Then i got to wake up after 2 1/2 hours of sleep to take the family down to the labor day parade ect, I was a zombie to say the least. I really need to make a trip earlier in the day so we can actually see the cover without a spotlight somehow I think it would be much easier, now I just need to find the time to do this out of my schedule! YEAH RIGHT! I've been skunked again!

18. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    My brother and i fished the tressel hole again fri. night, bait fishing went well.
    Which is more than i can say for the cats. We fished hard till midnight and
    managed to boat a 21" flattie. Finally got into another flattie:smile2:.Cut gills
    were the ticket, in close to the cover.