Fine crack in my outboard exhaust casing

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ncfowler, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Today i took off my cowling that covers the middle of the outboard, I was checking to see if i had any grease zerks that i may have missed when lubing up the outboard, when i went to put the cowling back on i saw a spot with a black exaust on it and i looked at the area it came from and found a small crack most like a stress one, I got on line and checked the parts and blowup of diagram and was a little at ease when i found out that my oil pan resivore was independent of the unit, for now i need a quick fix till i can get the part replaced any one with ideas, I think this has been here for a while because the amount of carbon built inside the cowling. I did drill a small hole at both ends of the crack to stop any more travel. i have a 4 stroke out board and my fear was loss of oil or even water getting in.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeff if you are intending on changing that out then I would clean it real good and maybe hit it with a little sand paper and use some quickset JB Weld on it as a temp fix.
    I commend you on being so tenitive on your motor. Most owners wouldn't have giving it a second thought.

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    t the funney thing is that the crack is in a area with no bends, or joints it is in the middle of a flat surface which makes me think it is a flaw in the casting. thanks for the suggestion