Finding Winter Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I going ouy this weekend weather permiting. I have some frozen shad i got last year but would like to get some liveones. I was at the lake a few weeks ago during waterfowl season and didnot see any shad schools (tuckertown) any suggestions on finding shad in cold water. I know that are in deep water and usaly balled up but we did not find any on the depth finder. Thanks

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ncfowler there is plent of bait at badin lake around old whitney area to the tuckertown dam. the bait yesterday was in 20-25ft during the daytime but you can catch it on the top at first light or ride around looking for bait closer to the top. the bait yesterday was stacked up where main river channel is closer to the dam area. right on the drops. turn your graph completely black. i used a six ft net and got plenty in 8-10 cast.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not fished the Baden area, but on Lake Wylie the shad were lined up at about 15-18 feet in channels that were 20-25 feet deep.. That depth seemed to be ideal for them yesterday. I marked them in a lot of different places on the lake at that depth. Be sure to bring a big cast net and long rope to hit that depth.

4. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Look for the sea Gull"s around dirt Dam"s and Bridge's usually the bait fish are going to be there.