Finding Winter shad.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't know about the rest of you but I never froze very good bait this year,and am about out of that. So we have been at a lost to catch shad since the lakes we usually catch them in are frozen over, and we cannot find them in the river the last few times out. Drew went to the spillway last week where the water was not froze but could not catch any thing but crappie and blue gills in the net,which we all know we are not allowed to keep since they were caught in a net not by sporting means (did not want to field the legal posts I know you all were going to throw at me when you read that). Any way Drew happened to go around the spillway at this lake and on the other side there is a back wash that fills when water is high , but the ice on this water was very thin with some places melted off, I would suppose by the rising and falling water with the snow melt. Through the holes there were thousands of shad swimming around, we now have enough bait to at least get us through till the ice goes off the lakes.
    Just thought that this might help some of the others on here fill their bait needs.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    man that Drew sure it getting resourceful! Sounds like a good deal for you guys! That bait will still be fresh when the spring shad are available.

Hope your water levels come down faster than ours. River is about to burst the banks down here again!

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    right on man i refeer to it as ice out shad to dumb to not freeze solid

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Willie for the Useful info! By the way is Drew a HillJack also?lol.

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anybody that would rather be setting on a boat covered in slime and scales wade through about any thing . Tear up cast nets faster than they can be bought, bring lunch on every trip, be there at 3 oclock in the morning when I tell him to be there at three thirty, with the boat already hooked up. Never crys about pulling the anchor, never misses with the net, never blames the captain for not putting him on fish, will put you in his spot if he is catching all the fish and you are not catching any. Any one that does all that , well I will let him call himself a HILLJACK if he wants to be called that. Most of the time I just call him the guy who caught the biggest fish of the day.

6. FLATBLUE

FLATBLUE New Member

State:
    Mason WV
    Don't forget staying in the boat with you when a barge about ran you over at Ravenswood. lol

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    We were not afraid of getting run over just worried that we would not get as many fish in the boat as you.. Seems we were right since you beat us black and blue.

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the report and sharing the info. Definitely worth adding to the knowledge base. I wanted to get stocked up before our canal froze over. As there are literally thousands usually trapped in there. Thanks to your heads up. I'll at least have a starting point this year....