Finding treasures

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ever get that warm and fuzzy feeling when something good happens?

You fisherman out there know. You buy all the right equipment, put in the time, do all the research, observe the waters and surrounding areas, and your efforts are rewarded with a good catch. or a tournament win.

When I find a nice piece of jewelry, it's like catching a big fish that you want to brag about. Sure, luck plays a part in it, but so do a lot of other things, like what's mentioned in the paragraph above.

It's just plain cool to snatch a big fish, or a nice ring that would be lost forever if someone didn't take the time to go search it out, or go catch that fish.

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Good subject,
    I got a metal detecter a few years back and it was a El Cheapo and I never learned to operate it and finaly gave it away, I have recently been reading some of your post BP and looking at some of the items you have found and it has started the blood pumping again, when the Cumberland river was real low awhile back that would have been a great time to have a good Metal detecter and I would imagine a person could have hit pay dirt. Thanks for sharing your stories with us, And please keep on sharing..

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Bobpaul, Have you every tried on sand bars or other areas that have been made accessible due to low water? I was just wondering if it might be a place to find maybe some older stuff.

I have a friend who has a bottom field where he has found hundreds of arrow heads (he calls it the arrow head field which is just below the arrow head hill). He ain't never found anything metal there. I wonder if he could with a detector or do you think if their was stuff there he would have already found some. Come to think of it he has found some old muzzle load type bullets.

I would like to just go along and watch somebody like yourself that knows what they are doing. I know it would be fun.

ST

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Bobpaul,
    I seen a show on metal detectors this morning that said the price of the metal detector is a rule of thumb for the accuracy of the depth being detected. Is this true? They said a $100 detector is good for 1" depths,$200 = 2"
    $300 = 3" depth
    $400 = 4" depth etc...

Any truth to this? I know in most cases you get what you pay for and I've been interested in getting a decent metal detector.

Thanks,
    Shelby

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's about acurate. The larger the object is, the deeper you can detect it also.

Read through the other threads and you'll find a little explanation on what they do.

6. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    BP, Have you been having any luck latly ..

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I was looking at a metal detecter today, But with my job time just isn't there...Maybe one day I'll hit the lotto and take a year off,

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Not much luck lately, but still getting a few items when I go.

About that arrow head feild, Metal oblects will sink deaper into the soil or just erode away. If they're still there, it would pay to get a decent detector and check out the field and surounding area. Do some research on who once inhabited that land.

I always hit sand bars when the tide's out, if they're still there. This year I've seen the shoreline landscape change with the wind. I've seen the ocean bring sand in and cover everything. In a few weeks, winds and current change and then there'll be a 3' drop off were the sand was taken back to the water.

When the sands are brought in, so are other items worth finding. These items are some times left behind. That's when you hunt from the drop off to the water.