finding suckers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rcbbracing, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only suckers i can ever find are when one accidently shows up in my minnnow baskets...But i have also never had as good of luck on anything like i have suckers...anyone have any advice as to where to find more suckers? What types and sections of creeks they like? Things of that sort...i am looking for a pb flatty this year and i think some new suckers holes could really help! thanks!

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I'm lucky I can cast net them in fast moving shallow water with gravel bottom in the smaller rivers. I also fish for them with worms in two to four foot of water with current and gravel.:0a26:

3. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kokosing River has a bunch of nice sized suckers that can be caught on nightcrawlers on the bottom

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i heard that about the kokosing...the only time ive caught them on poles was at the mouth of a river in the spring after a good rain....where did you have luck on the kokosing? behind riverside park maybe? thanks!

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Suckers like cold water creeks and streams. they are more abundant during the spring run when they congregate in packs and spawn. In the summer they are more scattered.

Hook, line, and sinker have not work for me, check your local regulations and use a castnet.

6. newfisherman

newfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I can't tell you how to get suckers but have you had any luck with any other bait fish?

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    heck i wish i knew where to find a bunch of suckers:wink:

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think the fish that I try to catch in the creek ,Which are 12ins or so are suckers.I try to catch these in the summer an they dont take my bait.I mow for this old Lady.an her creek is full of them .Suckers can be caught when the Dog wood trees come in to bloom.Right now! I read this in Ohio game an fish.Its time to see if I can keep some alive.
    Does any one know how to catch these fish in the hot summer months?

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you live anywhere near the mad river, there are tons of suckers in that river. I caught a bunch of creek chubs and suckers fishing a slip rig on the bottoms baited with wax worms. I fished a spot with some current in the GMR.

10. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have been catching a lot of suckers while steelhead fishing. Might be a little too big though:wink:. All caught on spawn bags or flies.That is a 30" net.

Attached Files: