Finding skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by foodsaver, Jun 13, 2007.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried to get some skipjacks today below the chickamauga dam they were pulling too much current. Usually I can look down from the parking lot and see them swirling around to know where to fish. What do you guys do when they are pulling all the turbines?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fish further down stream

3. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    Listen to Slip he knows what he is talkin about. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt have caught my pb. He wouldnt steer you wrong.

4. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    It would be interesting to know where to find the skipjack once you're at the fishing spot....I guess "trial and error" and a little "local talk" with the local baitshop wouldn't be a bad idea....I understand, the local baitshop is the first place you should go to look for specific info on where/how to fish a certain species....Dwight

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Look for the 'seams' between fast water and slack water, or at least between fast water and slow water. If there's a place where the shoreline sticks out into the current even a little bit, that will cause a seam downstream off the tip of it. Also, there are seams between the places where water is coming out of the dam.